Which disk check program is more accurate?

HD Tune Pro? Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows? or any other programs?

I use HD Tune Pro to check it and found Current Penging Sector  has error data 3.

HD Tune Pro: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 Health

ID                                  Current  Worst    ThresholdData     Status  
(01) Raw Read Error Rate            199      199      51       47       ok      
(03) Spin Up Time                   253      253      21       900      ok      
(04) Start/Stop Count               100      100      0        21       ok      
(05) Reallocated Sector Count       200      200      140      0        ok      
(07) Seek Error Rate                200      200      0        0        ok      
(09) Power On Hours Count           100      100      0        24       ok      
(0A) Spin Retry Count               100      253      0        0        ok      
(0B) Calibration Retry Count        100      253      0        0        ok      
(0C) Power Cycle Count              100      100      0        19       ok      
(C0) Unsafe Shutdown Count          200      200      0        14       ok      
(C1) Load Cycle Count               200      200      0        109      ok      
(C2) Temperature                    103      93       0        47       ok      
(C4) Reallocated Event Count        200      200      0        0        ok      
(C5) Current Pending Sector         200      200      0        3        warning 
(C6) Offline Uncorrectable          100      253      0        0        ok      
(C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count      200      200      0        0        ok      
(C8) Write Error Rate               100      253      0        0        ok      

Health Status         : warning

But using Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows I got error message.

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Unit Serial Number: WD-xxxxxxxxxxx
Firmware Number: 51.0AB51
Capacity: 2000.39 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 97 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 22:58:42, July 15, 2011

One thing is for sure, you definitely need to replace the drive. 

1 Like

Thanks for reply.

Is there any way to solve this problem? Or I have to replace this with my retailer?

I bought this harddisk no more than one week.

I would replace it with the retailer.  You will get a new drive that way.  Also, check the next drive to make sure there hasn’t been any “handling” issues - like customers dropping the drive on the floor.  I’ve seen customers at electronics stores do it numerous times. 

1 Like

Data Lifeguard is a pass-or-fail diagnostic. It will only flag a SMART attribute as “failed” if its current value is below its threshold. Other SMART diagnostics such as HD Tune, HD Sentinel, HDDScan, etc will warn you about any attribute that has an error count of any kind, whether or not it has hit the threshold. I don’t like HD Tune’s SMART report because it doesn’t show all 48-bits of each raw value. The author doesn’t appear to understand that the uppermost 16 bits sometimes have important data.

In your case you may find that a zero-fill operation may clear the “pending” sector count. A “pending” sector is one that has been determined to be unreadable. The drive then waits for the host (ie your OS) to write new data to this sector, at which time the drive then retests it. If it tests good, then it is returned to service. Otherwise, if it is confirmed to be bad, then it is replaced with spares. If this happens, you will see an increase in the raw value of the Reallocated Sector Count attribute.

1 Like

@bill_s

I tried to format the disk and no warning in HD Tune Pro.

So should I replace it anyways?

Current Pending Sector is now zero.

@fzabkar

Thanks for explanation.

I did a extrend test with DLG, and it found some bad sectors, then  format the whole disk in normal.

Everything now seems ok. I will check it again later.

If you cleared the pending sectors, then you’re probably okay.  But I would keep an eye on it for a while.  In any case, always keeping a backup (a duplicate) of your data is the safest thing to do.