Where did firmware 1.06.06 go?

Scandy, I agree with your comment. Why is Bill not getting a clear response from WD about this FW issue?

Mike27oct, You have to remember that WD is a huge company. Bill says he doesn’t know why v1.06.06 was pulled. It might not be easy for him to contact the right people that would know the answer to this.

I’m not implying Bill doesn’t know where to ask, since the “no brainer” place to ask is to start with the MPW division. I just think that division chooses not to tell Bill (or us users), which is kind of weird.

I think WD should tell us, at least if we should have it installed onto our MPW or not. It’s not that difficult to say, we had a problem with that firmware, don’t use it or put it back on the website.
I rolled mine back also.

There could be legal reasons why no one at WD can talk about this.

Legal reasons seems to be a bit of a stretch; nevertheless, there could be many reasons we are not being informed.

Yes, we could speculate forever, but like you said, there are many reasons why we are not informed. We will probably never know the real reason(s).

It doesn’t really matter too much to me because I already rolled back to v1.05.01. The two fixes listed in the release notes for the newer version do not matter to me, and it looks as if they might have made a mistake with the change regarding the battery discharge issue (leaving the battery charging for 72 hours before letting it discharge to 80%).

I am happy with v1.05.01. I can’t tell any difference vs the newer version in my normal usage.

BTW, with bloating/exploding batteries occurring, legal reasons do not seem a stretch to me.

I really don’t know the reason why it was pulled. Obviously, it wasn’t ready for prime time.

Thanks Bill. I appreciate your effort trying to find the answer for us!

Legal reasons don’t seem too far of a reach for me either. If the unit burnt someones house down, etc. I’d bet the legal team could tell us why.
The unit ran fine with V1.05.01 for me also. No reason what so ever to risk a problem.

@Scandy

Hey, no problem.

Someone please save me the time of looking this up: What is the quick and easy way to rollback the MPW FW?

Hey Mike,

You should be able to just manually point the update to the 1.05 version firmware and it will update to it. Theses products, like the My Clouds, aren’t like the WD TVs. Whatever file you point the update to it will update with it. You should be able to go up or down on versions.

Not like rolling back the WDTV . . . good to know. Thanks.

Let me know how it goes.

Yes, that is correct. You just need to point the updater to the correct bin file and that is all there is to it. There is no problem with downgrading to an earlier version. The firmware updater does not care that it is an older version. I had no problem at all downgrading.

Hi.

Sorry for dredging up an old topic BUT. . . .

I have a Passport Wireless 2TB (not pro). Mid 2016 I updated to Firmware 1.06.06, when it was available.

From this thread, I see the CURRENT “latest firmware” is 1.05.01. . . .dated 2015, which is splattered all over the support pages as an important update.

Questions:

1. Should I roll back my firmware to 1.05.01?

2. Any plans for another firmware update?

Thank you.

It was advised above in the thread, but I could never get the re-install of the previous one to work when I tried updating firmware as I had always done using the SD card method. Anybody have success this way?

It has been a while since I downgraded… I did not use the SD card method. I had the previous bin file stored on my computer so I pointed the updater to that file and it downgraded with no problems.

It is up to you whether or not you want to downgrade. WD did not give us any help on that.

As I wrote above, It looks like the downgrade changes the time that the battery is left charging before allowing it to discharge to 80%. I think that WD decided to play it safe and not allow the battery to remain at full charge for too long while it was still charging, so they pulled the 1.06.06 firmware release.

Since WD advises everyone to use the latest firmware, and since v1.05.01 is now the latest, it is probably wise to use that version.

I seriously doubt that will be any other firmware updates because the product is older now. I don’t think there will be any new features or improvements. The only firmware updates that we might see will be to fix serious problems, if they are found.