When's "the new one" coming out?

It seems like a new version of the wd tv live is due out at some point. Is there any remors about a new device release?

I don’t think we’ll be getting a new model for a while - the old one has been out for less than a year.

However, if WD are already planning anything new, I’d just like…

Something identical to the SMP, only…better.  You know, just a bit faster and less clunky.

And with 4 USBs (round the back).

And DTS-MA, obviously.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

I don’t think we’ll be getting a new model for a while - the old one has been out for less than a year.

However, if WD are already planning anything new, I’d just like…

Something identical to the SMP, only…better.  You know, just a bit faster and less clunky.

And with 4 USBs (round the back).

And DTS-MA, obviously.

Steve W

A properly tested OS would be nice, too.

1 Like

Exactly.  I’d like something that would have an improved wifi radio, the ability to stream from a NAS more efficentially, or maybe have a media server built in so you can stream from it (with storage attached) to other devices around the house.  A gig connection would be nice for those who regularaly access attached storage.  Why the heck does anything have a 100 mbps connection produced in 2011?  I think I expect too much for $89!

Hope they concentrate on this one before even thinking about a new one.  If the SMP is cast aside so quickly, before adding any extra services, fixes and improvements I will never buy any WD products again.

1 Like

The important thing is that the next model will be compatible with this one, in regards to files, etc.

Disconnect ‘old’ SMP, connect new model, play.

The cost of the unit - around GB£80-£100 every couple of years - isn’t an issue.  The old model gets moved to the bedroom, etc.

Steve W