When Playing HD movies with DTS & AC3 I get no audio

I have no audio in my Hd movie files DTs & AC3 can anyone help

DTS is only (unsupportedly) available as digital passthrough to a decoder that will accept DTS.  The device is not licenced to downmix DTS to stereo.

AC3 should be available as a stereo downmix if the device is set to “Stereo”, instead of “Digital”.  Again, the downstream device needs to support AC3 decoding if you’re going to bitstream the digital audio.

In other words, if you connect to a home theater, you should get 5.1 DTS and 5.1 AC3, but if you’re sending to your TV over HDMI, pretty much no television will do the decoding of digital audio at its HDMI inputs, even if the TV will decode AC3 5.1 from its built-in tuner – you’d have to be sending the TV a LPCM stereo downmix signal (which isn’t available for DTS).

So what is the solution for this? MOst of my MKV files uses DTS audio.

They should have made it clear in the box that it cant play DTS audio files.

Can I return this WD ELEMENTS PLAY?

Roofing guy or someone else please reply. What is the actual fix so we can play the files via our TV. I don’t care about the details, just tell us how to fix. Is it a program? Do we have to use analogue out? What is the solution instead of the technical blurb? God I wish Steve Jobs worked at Western Digital…

Well, the simple solution, since DVDs _ MUST _ have AC-3 or LPCM, and DTS is only an optional supplementary track in addition to the mandatory tracks, is to just use the AC-3 track and not the DTS track when you make your rips.  Then you won’t be stuck with all your files having audio you can’t play.

For that matter, even if you’re stealing the files off the internet, just steal the AC-3 version instead of the DTS version.

But, if you don’t want to re-rip the AC-3 track from your original disk, or download an AC-3 version, you can use many different programs to convert the DTS 5.1 to 5.1 AC-3.

Popcorn MKV Audio Converter seems to be a popular choice.

Analog out will not work.  The digital DTS stream will not be output over the stereo analog outputs.  The device does not have a licence to do that.