When i use my external hard drive on another computer i cannot open certain files

Everything is working fine, but when i use my external hard drive on another computer i cannot open certain files to play movies. i have a school netbook and i cannot open certain movies or even pdf files for ebooks. it says i do not have the permission/authority to play or open the program.

It may be in the sharing permissions assigned on the PC you first used it on. What OS are you using and which model drive is it? Need more info to help.

Joe

Windows XP and i have a My Passport Essential 700 gb

I don’t have XP handy but I think you just need to go to Computer right click on Drive then Properties and Sharing and select share with everybody.

Joe

that cant be just it because i tried and there is only local sharing which only has the option to make the folders private and theres a network sharing and security thing. i need to know how to make it authorized once the drive is unlocked through the WD Software program

You didn’t mention the Smartware part before. I don’t know about that part I don’t use it.

Joe

Right click on the item and run as administrator also make sure you are the administrator.

Make sure your not in safe mode