When I try to install WDSmartwareUpdate 2.4.16 I get hangup Accessing the features

I have been using Version 2.4.12 with some minor problems. When I try to update to Version 2.4.16 I can download and open the WDSmartware Installer.exe file fine. It then proceeds until it gets to the screen shown below for “Accessing the feature…”. I do not find the Setup (x64).msi file.

I am working on a Laptop. There also was a referance to a Network (not shown)… I do have WDSmartware installed of a Desktop computer at a different location and not connected here. Is that the problem?

Cliff

You should be able to install WD SmartWare even if there’s no WD hard drive communicating with your system. It seems to me the installation’s registry keys are broken, or the file in question is not the appropriate one for your system (32-bit vs. 64-bit).

Try cleaning your system’s registry before trying again. If this does not work then I’d recommend sending an E-mail to WD Support about this.

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Try to provide as many details as possible in order to properly document the issue. WD Support may call if additional details are required.

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution? Did you reported to WD support?

Yeah, I got it fixed. Not sure how though. Two possibilities:

1. I did a PC restart, which may have fixed the registry, as Trancer mentioned.

2. I do recall some kind of notice (or email) that required me to respond and verify that I had received a permit for Smartware Pro. I’ll have do some research on that and let you know.

Cliff

Which keys do I need to delete in registry? Not used to working with registry.

1 Like

Can’t find any email on this problem. I doubt if I “cleaned the registry” as Tancer suggest. I avoid doing anything in the registry without very specific instructions.