When are we going to get a firmware update that fixes major issues

Still waiting for a firmware update that fixes some of the major issues faced by users and posted on this forum many of which have been escalated to support staff.
We wait 2 months to get a firmware update and what does it address (Apple Time Machine performance degradation)
I believe that the last update adressed a time machine issue. Have WD been taken over by Apple.
Please let us see some action to fix more WDMYCLOUD issues
Meanwhile I will stick with V3 firmware as I was advised by WD Support staff

4 Likes

I think we need to start posting questions like this on Bill_S’s ‘New Release’ threads.  Especially since they’re pinned and thus stay visible.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/New-Release-WD-My-Cloud-Firmware-Release-4-01-03-421-2-23-15/td-p/859053

The security vulnerability questions would also be relevant.

Tel911 wrote:
Still waiting for a firmware update that fixes some of the major issues faced by users and posted on this forum many of which have been escalated to support staff.
We wait 2 months to get a firmware update and what does it address (Apple Time Machine performance degradation)
I believe that the last update adressed a time machine issue. Have WD been taken over by Apple.
Please let us see some action to fix more WDMYCLOUD issues
Meanwhile I will stick with V3 firmware as I was advised by WD Support staff

EXACTLY… fix issues like nework disconnections that are affecting a large number of people.

Dasboard access gong away, 

Firware updates getting stuck

Remote access issues

Hello everyone.

Please see my posts here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Unable-to-login-to-My-Cloud-Dashboard/td-p/710152/page/6

I describe, in detail, problems I am having with TWO of the WD My Cloud devices. Terrible user experience so far!

And, yes, last firmware killed one of the drives to the extent I couldn’t even access the drive any more. It’s all described in the linked post, feel free to read, comment, share.

I seriously struggle to understand why WD makes this Linux based NAS so screwed that it just doesn’t work.

I really do not want to start out complaining, but I have had help from WD Level 2 support on 2 or 3 occasions and Bill_S has help me get to the correct people by forwarding PM’s. For this I am grateful … let me say that again, for this I am grateful.

I, now, have 2 WD My Clouds and both are 3TB. One was purchased Jan. 2014 and the latest one was a Christmas present, on Dec. 27, 2014. So basically they are a year apart.

Issues with the oldest My Cloud … a year old now:

• My Cloud not turning off properly using the Dashboard. If I close my browser too fast, after clicking that last “Ok” to proceed with the Shut-Down, it WILL NOT shut down. I have to manually pull the plug and hope it will restart properly. This is really scary every time I do this.
  • This drive has had many firmware updates. Each of them have progressively made the drive slower to get to the Dashboard. Especially compared to the one I got for Christmas. I guess I should feel lucky as I can, at least, get to the dashboard.
  • Also the Bootup time on this drive is twice as long as the second drive. This is no joke … twice as long. Both have the same amount of data, as the second My Cloud is merely a Safepoint for the first one. The last firmware (04.01.02-417) update really killed the NAS’s overall performance and functionality, (By functionality I mean: Sleep Mode, Updating any dashboard function, overall speed, Twonky issues, Scanning issues, etc.) I am afraid to upgrade this device, or my other My Cloud, to be honest.
  • I would love to roll back the firmware from 04.01.02-417 to anything, but again, I am afraid of what might happen. It seems that everyone that has had issues doing this has had different problems. Some people have had no issues and others have bricked their system. If I do roll back the firmware will my Safepoints still be working, since I will have 2 My Clouds on 2 different Firmware revisions and the current Safepoint made with another revision. I certainly do NOT want to go through a NAS restoration again, as that is painstakingly slow.
  • Adding or Deleting Users: Since one of the earlier firmware updates (I think it was 03.04.01-219 to 03.04.01-230 or 03.03.02-165 to 03.04.01-219) there was a bug introduced that made your previously added users, on the My Cloud, undeletable. I only had the My Cloud for one month. I had to a “Full Restore” which wipes out all users and data. Luckily I had made a Safepoint on a Seagate NAS. This saved me as I would have lost everything. Since that point-in-time I have never made/deleted users in fear of something else happening. The only person that can access this NAS is me, and that was never the intention when I bought it. I have no idea if that issue still exists or was ever fixed. This issue was known to WD at the time.

In Closing:

I have for several weeks shutdown Cloud Access on both My Clouds due to the latest vulnerabilities. This is the second time that has happened. Although the said vulnerabilities are NOT WD’s fault, the resolution IS. The first issue (HeartBleed) took WD weeks before an update. Now both My Clouds are offline, with no fix in sight or mentioned anywhere. Although WD’s version of Cloud Access was not what I thought it meant, I now have none. To be honest this was one of the reasons I chose to go with the My Cloud in the first place. This has turned in to a NAS, with very limited functionality, that has remote access capabilities, if you choose to be vulnerable to “who-knows” and for “how long?”.

I have had many issues with my first My Cloud, and still do, and if it wasn’t for the people here in this community, I would have taken the HDD out it along time ago. As for my second My Cloud … I guess is – if you don’t touch it, it can’t break.

I was asked, by my Son-in-law, would I recommend him buying a My Cloud for movies as he knows and seen both of mine. I said “No”, he looked at me funny …. I said they have to many issues and no urgency to fix them.

2 Likes

Has anyone heard anything about these issues being fixed? Especially, for me, the latest vulnerabilities + Cloud Access + Firmware issues relating to the My Cloud performance.

its simple nobody cares unless it makes them money.  The WD advertizements /commercials just say how wonderfull it is…  let sit on my couch and watch pictures and movies… ahh so easy…  There selling them and could care less about customer satisfaction.   

Well, my older My Cloud did it again this past weekend. I went to shut it down via the Dashboard and it wouldn’t shut down. This time I left the browser open and the My cloud lights never started blinking yellow. I closed the browser and the lights never started blinking yellow. I finally had to pull the plug on the device to get it to turn off. I waited 5 minutes or so and tried to restart it and it took probably 10 minutes or so to boot up. I then went to the Dashboard to shut it down properly and this time it worked … ??? This version 4 firmware has killed this My Cloud’s operational functions. Only a year old and it has been all down hill for this unit. :frowning:

The shut-down issue happened again on my older My Cloud. I really don’t know if it is Firmware 4, or my first My Cloud is of the first generation of My Clouds ( my second My Cloud does not show this issue ).

I am truely at a lost here … very, very disappointing to say the least! :confounded: