Whats the largest external USB drive that can be connected?

Can anyone confirm if the WD Cloud has any USB size limitations? For example can it connect 4,5,6 or 8TB drives?

thanks

yes when I was spec testing the cloud a year ago, I connected a Vantec Raid 5 configured for 6TB and tested for 4TB wrap-around by filling it up with data. It was able to handle up to 6TB/8TB so I would assume it can handle 8TB and upwards.

The only problem that I had was speed slowdown on non-WD drives (Vantec) down to 17MB/s-25MB/s writes and reads versus 35MB/s writes and 75MB/s reads with a WD My Book. Even when the Vantec was configured for 8TB at Raid 0, with USB 3 read write speeds of 140MB/s directly off a USB 3 port, it slowed down to 20MB/s through the USB port of the Cloud.

I really think it is the code if usb device == WD then set speed to max else set speed = 20MB/s 

1 Like

Ext4 / kernel limit for 32bit system/CPU - 16TB

USB dont have any capacity limits.

I have a 4 tb My Book Studio always connected to My Cloud and it works perfectly.

PJPfeiffer

Do you leave your My Book connected when booting?  I’ve seen comments that say not bot boot with the USB connected?

RAC

rac8006 wrote:

PJPfeiffer

Do you leave your My Book connected when booting?  I’ve seen comments that say not bot boot with the USB connected?

RAC

I haven’t rebooted My CLoud recently - I really can’t answer the question. Running a quick test, maybe that will tell me uptime. No go with the uptime …

PjPfeiffer

If you do dmesg -T|head and dmesg -T tail.  It will show you the time the system booted and the current time.

RAC

Thanks, I was only going to add info to this thread … I don’t really care to break my warranty by using ssh

PJPfeiffer

I found this on one of WD’s web sites.  Doing a dmesg is considered normal usage.

RAC

Critical: The use of SSH (Secure Shell) can potentially harm the hard drive and could result in the drive and the data within it becoming inaccessible or lost. The use of SSH to tamper with the drive in order to modify or attempt to modify the device outside of the normal operation of the product will void the drive’s warranty.

Thanks, I was only superficially interested in the uptime to add to the thread.