Whats inside 500GB 2.0/3.0 Passport?

First off, yes I know that opening the case will void the warranty.

I’m looking to get a 2.5 sata for internal storage, and I kindda need to get it by tomorrow. I have a few gift cards from walmart and Im wondering what is the actual HDD inside this —> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Western-Digital-My-Passport-Essential-SE-500GB-USB-2.0-3.0-External-Hard-Drive/15412327

Thanks for your help!

I can’t answer your question, but nowadays WD incorporates the USB-SATA bridge chip on the hard drive’s PCB, if the drive is powered from the USB port.

fzabkar is correct.

The model you have indicated in you link has built-in USB>SATA circuit board and you cannot use this drive as a bare SATA drive. Beside you’ll be paying extra for superfluous drive encryption system. I wonder why you can’t find a bare SATA drive… which is lot cheaper.

But if you opt to cannibalize 2.5 USB drive, you’ll be better off with an older model of WD drive which has no drive encryption built in. Look for longer drive enclosure (This is to accommodate separate USB>SATA bridge board)

Mabikay – SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …