What's Everyones Transfer Speeds

Mine is 3MB/Sec which is extreamly slow & is not practical in anyway. So what is yours ?

30-35 Mbyte/sec.

10 - 12 MBPS wired and 1 - 1.5 MBPS over WiFi.

I usually get 35MB/s to 44MB/s wired, ( the only thing I do wireless is browse) depending on how many other things I have it doing at the same time. I was happy with those speeds but I was still expecting & looking for more. (100MB/s -120MB/s theoretical?) I did some reasearch and found that often it’s one of 3 things that slow things down.

1. NIC

2. NIC drivers or properties

3. Anti Virus programs

I already had good onboard gigabit network adapters. I updated the drivers and tweaked the properites but still saw no significant improvment. I never got around to turning off the AV to see if that helped because I came up with the idea below.

I kinda stumbled into one idea I thought was common sense but still pretty smart. I looked at eliminating the need to do large file transfers in the first place. For example, why download to drive C: then move that large file to the NAS? Why not just download it staight to the NAS, even if it’s to a temp folder somewhere on it. Then when you move it (not copy it) to it’s final location (somewhere else on the NAS) it will be almost instaneous, because you’re just updating the files location or address or something. Know what I mean?

Personally I am having an absolute nightmare now after upgrade to firmware Release 1.10.13 (7/26/2012).

Wired network Cat6 Cables 50cm from network switch Gigabyte to Live DUO and WDTV Live. No problem streaming Bluray rips of 30 GIGS.

Wired network into switch with 2m Cable connected to firmware updated Laptop Nic GIGABYTE. So laptop - switch - Live DUO.

Speed on Movie transfers 9Kb/s Yes NINE.

Wireless on my wireless router connected by a different cat 5e cable 17Kb/s Left it on last night to transfer a 2Gig file but still hadn’t finished this morning.

Prior to the update using the Lan Speed test I was getting between 35-48Mb/s.

I have moved the cables across and swapped for cat 5e but can’t get a speed increase the Stream to the WD live has to be faster than 9k/bs or it would be breaking up.

Any ideas I haven’t swapped anything other than the firmware update.

So for the transfer speeds.

Old Wired 35-48Mbs, Old wireless around 17Mb/s.

Wired 9Kb/s, Wireless 17kb/s

Help

Could you guys tell me, a complete laymen, how exactly you are measuring the speeds you are quoting? I can’t see any mention of speed rates when I transfer files to the unit, on the little info pane that pops up when you transfer files on a Windows XP PC.

Thanks.

If the file is large enough, it will tell you the transfer rate.   If it’s a smaller file, it won’t.

Anything that takes more than about 5 seconds to copy should include the transfer rate, or perhaps show a “Details” button or something that you can click to view it.

The infopane in XP is very basic and doesn’t have a details option. So, you guys aren’t using a special App or program, then?

If nothing else, you can open the Performance Monitor which is built into XP and has network statistics on it…

< 1 Mbps (note that support deleted my post once already).  Part of the issue was that I was using xcopy with /D flag to transfer files.  I then found out that the xcopy was still copying files that existed and had not been updated.  This is a large part of the problem.

twc2102 wrote:

Part of the issue was that I was using xcopy with /D flag to transfer files.  I then found out that the xcopy was still copying files that existed and had not been updated.  This is a large part of the problem.

That has nothing to do with anything.

Regardless of whether XCOPY is overwriting files, that doesn’t change the throughput.   It just changes the duration of the copy.

30-35mbps wired, 2-3mbps wireless.

Have a look at this:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/Performance-problems-Read-this-first/td-p/458792

40 MBPS wired and 5 MBPS over WiFi.

I’ve had mine for two days - during most of which performance was very slow and variable.

Now it’s done rebuilding after switching to RAID1 I’ve got stable speed - but it seems slow.

Unless I’ve missed something, my Mac doesn’t show transfer speeds - just ‘remaining time’, so I try to work it out manually.

I’ve just tested with a 2.8gb single mp3… 2 minutes forty seconds when directly connecting the LD to my Mac, or ethernetting my Mac to the router to which the LG is connected. Five minutes twenty seconds by wifi.

So that’s approx 14 megs/second by cable and 7 wifi?

I’m not sure if MBPS is megs per second, but those speeds seem slow.

For my Macintosh system …

Airport Xtreme (wireless) … typically 3 - 5 MBps

High power Alfa Transceiver (wireless) … up to 12 MBps

Cat 6 cable … up to 50 MBps

Simple file copying (cable) … up to 2 GBpm

Time Machine backups (cable) … up to 20 MBps

35-50 MB/sec wired from desktop to MBLD.

25-35 MB/sec wired when using the desktop to transfer from MBL to MBLD.

Router is an actiontec Q1000.

ugh I’m getting confused with MB/s and Mbps…  I’m transfering anywhere from 4 to 6 megabytes (MB/s) a second over wifi.  Is this out of the norm?

That’s pretty good for 802.11g, and fair for mixed-mode 802.11n.

I’m on mixed mode n… but going through 2 floors from basement to upstairs… not bad.

Now if I could get it to stream wirelessly to my WDTV live I’ll be all set! :smiley:  DLNA stutters like crazy!