What YouTube videos can't you access with the .24 firmware

It has been reported that with the latest firmware (.24) access to certain videos on youtube is restricted. Before I update can anybody tell me what type of videos are now restricted. Is it a certain type or does appear to be random.

The ones I’ve encountered that gave me the message are music videos that are all clearly marked (C) SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT so I wasn’t all that surprised that they were “protected content.”  I’ve had no problems with most of the other videos I’ve looked at.  YouTube isn’t a high priority entertainment thing with me, but it is nice to see a better interface and my favorites on the WDTV Live.  Some people just have to gripe about something.  As the old song goes, “A lot of people have a lot of forks and knives and they gotta cut something.”  Personally, I think the WDTV Live delivers pretty well for a box that cost about as much as four Blu Ray discs.

1 Like

It appears that each video uploader on youtube can say if they want to allow their video to be played on mobile phones or TV’s. If you go to ‘my videos’ on your account and press the ‘edit’ button on a video you will see at the bottom of a long list on the left hand side the word ‘Syndication’. If you open this option you will find that you can check one of two buttons which allows you to say ‘Yes, make this video available on mobile phones and TV’ or ‘No, this video should not be available on mobile phones or TV.’  What has happen with the recent firmware (.24) is that this option is now obviously being taken into account. If you note the firmware notes say ‘Redesigned YouTube user interface to comply with YouTube requirements’. I assume that if WD did not implement this feature than youtube would not allow them to access the youtube site. So nothing to do with WD or youtube, its something the video owner decides.

1 Like

There’s more content providers that restrict that option besides Sony. For instance BBC videos are protected as well (I checked a couple different TV series in their YT channel).

Presumably in the future all devices will have to follow this or risk the rage of Google

All HD videos no longer play for me. All of them are gone, regardless of source.

I dont think all future devies will be so hobbled, it is just a matter of cookies from what I read. Why did WD kill this witut trying to work out some deal on emulating cookies?

Whole wrote:

All HD videos no longer play for me. All of them are gone, regardless of source.

I dont think all future devies will be so hobbled, it is just a matter of cookies from what I read. Why did WD kill this witut trying to work out some deal on emulating cookies?

WD are not some hacker operating from a back bedroom. They are a corporate organisation who have to obey certain requirements. In order for then to install youtube access on their unit they must abide by youtubes conditions or they will not be allowed to use it. Some boxes have already been denied usage

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/20/youtube-pulls-a-hulu-yanking-api-access-from-popcorn-hour-ot/

You should not forget that youtube costs money and is currently making a big loss.

When you say no HD videos play do you mean they are not in HD or they no longer play at all. As far as I am aware all HD videos can play at all resolutions and on the youtube website you pick the one you want.

yeah, nothing plays now in HD.   I had .17 and it worked fine.  Now with .24 its locked out.   lame

Yes “upgrading” to fw 24 was a big mistake, I will try to find 17 again and give i a try