What type of drives are included?

Are they Caviar Green, Blue, Black, VelociRaptor or other?

RPMs? Cache?

Can I buy a unit with 2 x 2TB drives and later add 2 x 2TB more?

If I get a unit with 4 x 2TB, can I setup raid 5 with 3 of the drives and make the 4th a hot spare?

Hi,

When I got my 2TB ShareSpace about 4-5 months ago, there were 2x 1TB WD10EAVS - these are the Caviar AV versions.

I soon added 2x 1TB Caviar Green WD10EADS drives - now all in a RAID 5 array - and all is well.

Cheers.

Any know what are the most current drives for the 2 TB unit? Are thy still 1TB Caviar Green WD10EADS? I want to do raid 5. Can I buy just one drive and accomplish this?

BTW - do drives come with a cage that allows me just to install in the unit or do I have to buy that separately?

Do all drives have to be the same size? Can I buy 2 2TB drives and still do raid 5 with the existing 2 1TB drives? Will I have access to the remaining space?

jerryroy1 wrote:
Do all drives have to be the same size? Can I buy 2 2TB drives and still do raid 5 with the existing 2 1TB drives? Will I have access to the remaining space?

I just purchased 3/20/10 2tb unit from newegg. The internal drives are wdeavs. It has a cage with 4 slots of which only two are populated in this unit. Additional drive mounting rails are included. I recall reading somewhere that you can add greater capacity drives to expand volume without problems, but don’t take it as gospel.