What to look for when buying a 3TB My Cloud from EBay

I am looking at what are described as “new, in the original box, unopened” 3 TB My cloud’s EBay. And it appears I can save a considerable amount of money by going this route as opposed to buying the same box from someplace like Best Buy. I use EBay all the time for various things so I am familiar with how to use that site. My questions are:
Are there different models or releases of a 3 TB My Cloud ?
How might I tell how “old” the My Cloud is that is being offered on EBay ?

I would rather spend more money (at Best Buy) for a “just shipped” version of a My Cloud if there are some advantages.

I’m simply trying to be an informed buyer.

Thanks for any replies.

There are two different versions (or generations) of the My Cloud. Only by giving the complete part number would you know which generation it is.

OKay then. That makes sense. Thanks.

@JustRay Since you have a lot of questions about the WD My Cloud take a look at this link, it should answer virtually any question you have.

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904&lang=en

You can ask your question in the Knowledge Base too.

5 year old post. I don’t think the OP still needs help with his question!

Not just necroposting, resurrecting a 5 year old thread to boot. :laughing: To anyone reading, Best Buy hasn’t sold the single bay/single drive My Cloud in years. They sell multi bay My Cloud units and the My Cloud Home. As many have discovered the My Cloud Home is absolutely not a 1:1 replacement for the single bay/single drive My Cloud line. It has different options and features (not to mention different operating system) than the single bay My Cloud line had. Many have found the My Cloud Home to be a step or three down from the single bay My Cloud.

WD should go back to basics and make a My Cloud Classic and completely ditch the My Cloud Home range.

Still using my 3TB WD My Cloud Gen 1 to this day … and overall, it’s been pretty good with no major issues.

Same here - and the more I read about the replacement for which I was offered paltry 20% off, the more I like and truly appreciate what I have now (4TB, purchased Feb 2014 and working flawlessly [well okay, with couple of hitches related to not great scan/index implementation] to this day).

I completely disabled the indexing feature. (via SSH commands)

Everything stills work fine, perhaps even better after stopping the service.

The only thing that doesn’t work after disabling it is the DLNA Media Server as it won’t build the Library. But, for me that’s ok, because i’ve never used the DLNA Media Server cus, i don’t like it or need it … network shares still work fine :slight_smile:

I still keep mine enabled - know how to disable both services but can’t really be bothered to do so, even though I faffed a bit via WinSCP,. Putty and the likes.

I was supposed to use DNLA and/or iTunes server but because my DNLA-enabled audio equipment seems capricious when access via WiFi is concerned, I gave up and resorted back to traditional sources (radio, CD and the like).

The only cloud-related feature I actually use is a copy of pictures taken by my mobile phone - but not via My Cloud OS3 app, but now long-unsupported (since 2016?) WD Photos app that I kept installing for this very purpose on my various phones.
And guess what? Unless I’m mistaken its GUI seems suggesting that such backup copies can be made onto the WD My Cloud over the local network as well, not only via MyCloud account - so if I’m lucky I might not be missing anything from 15/04 cut-off date onwards.

I’ve never used any WD Apps to backup/transfer or stream data from my Phone … i just use a generic Android App ES File Explorer app to do that. Works fine for me.

the cut-off date will only effect Remote Access … so i would assume the WD app you use, as long as it support LAN transfers should still work, but it won’t for Remote transfers.

Yup, I get that - am just curious if my little theory I made up this weekend stands.

If that transpires to be the case, it would also be interesting to know if LAN transfers used to be supported on some past versions of My Cloud app as well… APK files are available on the Interwebs should somebody was that curious…

Apparently the WD My Cloud mobile apps access the WD back end servers to authenticate even for local network access so its likely the mobile apps will stop working even for local network access when the cut off is done by WD in April. WD apparently hasn’t indicated that the mobile apps will continue to work for local network access post April cutoff.

I too used ES File Explorer (before it became bloated with features) but moved to using the Asus File Manager app for Android for a simple file manager app.

Well, I will report back if that’s the case - or not - of WD Photos.

(When one clicks ‘Add device’ within WD Photos app, one has a choice of either reaching one’s device over LAN, or via WDMyCloud.com account - for some reason I cannot upload the screenshot…!
In fact, I only do use the former (just checked). Which to be honest is quite suggestive…

And indeed, there’s no such distinction available within My Cloud app (at least in the latest version I have).

Well, guess what: just downloaded My Cloud v4.4.6 from some older apk depository and installed on my tablet.
And even though there’s big login window asking to enter account credentials to WDMyCloud.com, there was an option to login to the device locally, using local credentials which have nothing to do with the former. Which I’ve just done and all is well.

Well, time will show, I guess, but now I think I’ll be alright actually.

So getting back to the original topic of these conversations: make sure you can check the state of hard drive within the unit once you purchase it - HDSentinel.com offers ways to deal with it (they require accessing the unit via SSH or similar).

That’s crazy … the same sort of crazy as video games today requiring online internet to play Single Player !

Well, i guess it wouldn’t surprise me if the WD Apps stopped working … but i really don’t think 3rd Party Apps will stop working. If the 3rd party app uses SMB Network Protocols then it will still work with My Cloud the same as using SMB Network Protocols on my PC to also access it.

I’m using an old version … before the bloat and ads

Non WD mobile apps that access the local network My Cloud shouldn’t be affected. I was referring to WD mobile apps. Currently there is no indication from WD that their mobile apps will continue to work for local network access post April support cut off.