What the blank good is a MyCloud device?

I bought a MyCloud device. I put all my stuff on it.

Here’s what I know you CAN’T do with it:

1. If you want to get your music from the MyCloud and put it on your phone, sorry. Not allowed.
  2. If you want to get your own PDF’s or word documents? Sorry.

If you want to use it to transfer files from your old computer to your new one? Sorry.
Here is their customer service email to me:
“As per the email received, I understand that you are not able to download music from the My Cloud Home Device. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Saving non native content is not supported (IE: pdf,mp3,xdoc,xppt, etc…)”
What is “non-native content”? I own the CDs. I guess I’m not the recording artist though.

I’ve purchased a new computer and have been working for two hours trying to put MY FILES from MY CLOUD onto MY NEW computer.
Seems to my it isn’t really “My Cloud”.

I feel quite resentful that I’m not allowed to download my own files onto my own phone or my own new computer.
I guess the question is, what do they think the point of the device is for its owners? If my computer died would I be allowed to download my files onto a new computer then? Whom would I have to talk to in order to obtain permission?
I guess I have to go get a really big flash drive or something?

What specific My Cloud model do you have? Do you have one of the My Cloud models or one of the My Cloud Home models? The My Cloud Home line is not the same as the My Cloud line. The My Cloud Home has a different operating system, different features and different options. The My Cloud Home does not use OS5 (v5.x firmware). If one has a My Cloud Home they should see the dedicated subforum for that device where users more familiar with it may be able to assist with your issues. You should also see the My Cloud Home User Manual (see Support link at top of page) for how to use that device including how to access it with Window File Explorer/Mac Finder and the My Cloud Home mobile app to copy files and backup files to or from that My Cloud Home device.

My Cloud Home - Personal Cloud Storage
https://community.wd.com/c/home-cloud-storage/228

If one has OS5 (v5.x firmware) supported My Cloud device, the OS5 My Cloud mobile app for iOS/Android generally has the ability to download a file to the local mobile device. One may have to select the file (or folder) in the app to have the option to download the file appear.

One can access their local network My Cloud using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to copy files from/to the local network My Cloud. One can “map” local network My Cloud Shares to make access easier.

How to Map a My Cloud or NAS Device on Windows
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9323

How To Map a My Cloud or NAS Device on macOS
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24148

More assistance and help with OS5 (v5.x firmware) My Cloud devices can be found using the Knowledge Base link at the top of the page where you can search the Knowledge Base for answers to common problems and issues. The following Knowledge Base Article has a list of specific OS5 My Cloud Knowledge Base Articles. It also helps, if you haven’t done so already, to read the OS5 My Cloud User Manual to learn more about how to use your OS5 My Cloud device.

My Cloud OS 5: Online User Guide and Solutions
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29633

OS5 My Cloud Online User Manual
https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en/

#WDUserRewards

@Dzirk

Bennor has already given you a lot of useful information but if you do own a WDMYCLOUD
WDMyCloudImage
you should be able to do everything you say you can’t do.

I’ve owned a Single Bay My Cloud Cloud Gen 1 for about 4~5 Years now

And it does everything that you say your’s can not.

I’m still pretty blanking happy with it after all these years :slight_smile:

It may be me. . .and my glass of Scotch. . . but it sounds like the original poster is complaining about functionality of the apps; while helpful responders above are saying all the functionality is available via PC’s.

Not quite the same thing; if I am reading this right.

I think what the OP wants (needs) is a list of apps that will work from a phone or tablet. For instance, in my use case, I routinely read the NAS using VLC on an android tablet. The VLC app is capable of using SMB (and another method which I forget) to read data from any available network drive. I am sure the same capability exists in the iOS world. . .although honestly I have NOT looked.

One annoyance is that most apps require a direct network connection to the network where the NAS resides. It doesn’t quite work when you are in a different country than your NAS. Resolving this introduces a separate step of establishing a VPN connection from the device to the home network. . . .which is it’s own can of tasty worms. (worms because you will suddenly learn ALOT about networking. Tasty because It’s pretty cool once you get it to work).

@NAS_user
Did you look at the links Bennor provided? The OP must look at them, read them, and hopefully understand what needs to be done to use his device. The OP needs to make sure he has everything setup in the Dashboard for what he wants to do. He should check Twonky and make sure it’s set up the way he wants it.

The OP did post under the OS5 sub-forum for the 2nd generation WDMYCLOUD.

@Dzirk

Have your read the User Manual? Have you looked at and set up the Dashboard the way you want it to work? Have you set up Twonky?

Have you tried drag and drop? See example image below. Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

Note that the OS5 mobile app was mentioned in the reply to the OP: :wink:

If one has OS5 (v5.x firmware) supported My Cloud device, the OS5 My Cloud mobile app for iOS/Android generally has the ability to download a file to the local mobile device. One may have to select the file (or folder) in the app to have the option to download the file appear.

It is not clear if the OP is using the OS5 My Cloud app for iOS/Android. And if they are what specific issue or error message they are receiving that is preventing their downloading a file using the OS5 My Cloud mobile app.

Further the OP indicates they received an email from WD customer service that indicated “the My Cloud Home Device” which raises the possible issue; does the OP even have a My Cloud device or do they have a My Cloud Home device.

#WDUserRewards