What kinds of new HDD Drives are backward compatible with SATA 1(1.5Gb/s) interface?

Hello!

I have an old computer with SATA1 (1.5Gb/s) interface.
I want to by a new HDD drive for it.
Is this HDD (WD10EZEX) backward compatible with my old computer?
Or, could any friends give me better suggestions?

Thanks!

You could connect all the way to a SATA 6 Gbit/s device to SATA 1.5Gb/s Interface and it will work.

Some info below from wiki link. (worth reading, as some drives have jumpers to work with SATA 1.5Gb/s)

The designers of SATA standard as an overall goal aimed for backward and forward compatibility with future revisions of the SATA standard. To prevent interoperability problems that could occur when next generation SATA drives are installed on motherboards with standard legacy SATA 1.5 Gbit/s host controllers, many manufacturers have made it easy to switch those newer drives to the previous standard’s mode.

SATA 3 storage device is compatible with SATA 1 motherboard, if the storage device manufacturer obeys the SATA specification.
My motherboard is MSI 865PE (with SATA 1 interface), I have tested 2 HDD drives.
Their types are WD5000AAKX (SATA 3), ST31000340NS (SATA 2), both of them could be recognized.
I have seen a discussion from a Russian forum, HDD - Странности с недавно купленным б/у HDD Western Digital WD10EZEX 1Tb .
The thread poster said he bought a used HDD drive WD10EZEX (SATA 3), his motherboard is MSI 865PE Neo2-V (with SATA 1 interface). From his post, we could see that the HDD drive could be recognized by his motherboard.
I have also tested an SSD drive, SV300S37A/120G (SATA 3), it is incompatible with my motherboard. I guess its manufacturer cuts the cost down, make the products incompatible with older motherboards.

@JoeySmyth thanks for your reply.

SATA is backwards and forwards compatible

1 Like