What is the point of locking threads?


#1

It just makes users start new ones.

And by posting something rather unrelated in each of the two threads on here it doesn't much confidence.

All everyone wants to know is when it will be fixed

Or in the interim just let users go back to the last stable firmware

Users dont want to do this via SSH - they want a single file to download and click then firmware update.

So, pretty please - when this will be fixed?


#2

adtilley wrote:

It just makes users start new ones.

 

And by posting something rather unrelated in each of the two threads on here it doesn’t much confidence.

 

All everyone wants to know is when it will be fixed

 

Or in the interim just let users go back to the last stable firmware

 

Users dont want to do this via SSH - they want a single file to download and click then firmware update.

 

So, pretty please - when this will be fixed?

The issues most of the users were experiencing in those threads had to do with running 3rd party apps, which we don’t support on the My Cloud, and which were causing issues with their drives functioning correctly.  And we gave them direction where to go to understand more of what they need to do now. 

I’m sorry that you are having problems with remote access, but we escalated you to support to get further help for that.  Please respond and let them help you.


#3

I was wondering the same and I really don’t know.

I just started visiting this forum a couple of days ago. But now, I find that Bill_S just wrote something totally unrelated to the thread in [GUIDE] Transmission 2.82 and force-tagged it as “Solution”. – ??? Solution to what!? It’s a guide and people asking about features not supported by WD, what “solution” can you provide to that, you… And if you imply that this is some kind of solution to what people were asking in that thread… LMAO. – And not happy with it, locked the thread. :confounded:

That’s just a big “talk to the hand and shut up” sign. And he’s basically the “man in charge”. So you can’t post any question related to firmware bugs, and you can’t post information or talk about something else. Errrrr… What can you do? I guess you have to ask dumb questions that can be answered in a form  “Check page #57 of the User’s Manual.” (even if ít’s unrelated to the question!). Or say “aleluya de WD Staff!”.

What I look in a forum is user experience and the ability to see different ideas, share knowledge, have and/or give feedback… I can find dumb questions to dumb answers in the manual. Or if I write to support level 1. So I guess this is just not my place. I rather go someplace when you can ask things and contribute than get frustrated with *** policies and/or people.

And BTW… I really don’t see the point in hosting a forum if you don’t want the users to talk.


#4

Ive replied 

However, Im not running any third party apps anmd I dont think many users are

I think thats clouding the issue


#5

YAY!!! Downgrade. Best thing i did. What a waste of 2 nights! Back to normal now. AutoUpdate is definitely OFF. As a New MyCloud owner, Lesson Learnt. Dont touch the firmware.


#6

The issues that I mentioned in the now-closed firmware thread related to the 4.0 changelog were issues from a WD MyCloud with vanilla firmware >>> NO Modifications <<< We need threads where users can voice their issues after a firmware update without fear that it’s going to be closed because some users post issues from drives that have been modified. Responding to their issue by saying that drives with mods are not supported should suffice. Closing the thread is OVERKILL as the continuity to find/research solutions in the “same” thread is lost.  Now I have to jump from thread to thread to find solutions to similar issue(s) to the ones I posted or create a brand new thread with the same issues.


#7

Agreed. Overkill.

I posted my issues in both of those threads, and nothing I posted had to do with modification. Just a detailing of the issues my drive has given me.

Locking those threads under the notion that all the posts had to do with modified drives was indeed overkill.

The posts in those threads that had to do with unmodified drives and plain-vanilla problems caused or exacerbated by the FW update should have been moved to a new thread.


#8

I’m writing here because the other threads are locked.

I was also running unmodified firmware until this update. With this FW i can acces the dashboard but verry slow. Write and copy speeds are just awfull…i mean  from 45 megs  to jus 1 or 2 megs per sec. is unacceptable. It’s not indexing or scanning anything, it even enters sleep mode…so it’s not doing anything else on the side, it’s just bad firmware that ruined the somewhat smooth experience with this piece of hardware.

So I am asking (like many others did):

When can we expect a fix…or a downgrade method?

Again I am mentioning that I do not have any 3-rd apps installed nor do I have SSH opened , just regular use .

Thank you!


#9

Come on guys we need a working firmware before the weekend.  This really isn’t good enough.

My wdmycloud is absolutely hopeless now.  Or should we start a thread about other devices that we should swap to?


#10

Tamanaco wrote:

The issues that I mentioned in the now-closed firmware thread related to the 4.0 changelog were issues from a WD MyCloud with vanilla firmware >>> NO Modifications <<< We need threads where users can voice their issues after a firmware update without fear that it’s going to be closed because some users post issues from drives that have been modified. Responding to their issue by saying that drives with mods are not supported should suffice. Closing the thread is OVERKILL as the continuity to find/research solutions in the “same” thread is lost.  Now I have to jump from thread to thread to find solutions to similar issue(s) to the ones I posted or create a brand new thread with the same issues.

I’m sorry if it’s overkill, but we needed to make sure that posts we put were seen and not lost in the threads.  Because, the main issue we encountered had to do with those that were installing 3rd party apps on the My Cloud.  If you’re issue had nothing to do with you trying to install a third party app on the my cloud, then it is totally fine to start another thread. 

The changes we needed to make to improve the functionality of the My Cloud caused issues with those installations.  Since we don’t support installing 3rd Party Apps on the My Cloud, we needed to let people know that we aren’t going to “fix” their problem.  However, for those that followed what we were saying, we were giving hints on what to do next. 

But let me make it clear, we are not going to consider any problems that arise out of using the device outside our advertised specs as issues that we need to fix.  So if people get a “great” idea of what they can do with the device, then they are doing it at their own risk, and they can’t blame us for any unexpected results.

I just had you escalated for further help from support.  Anyone that reads this understand that WD is reaching out to those encountering issues with the update, regardless.  So, please keep an eye on your private message inbox.


#11

adtilley wrote:

Come on guys we need a working firmware before the weekend.  This really isn’t good enough.

 

My wdmycloud is absolutely hopeless now.  Or should we start a thread about other devices that we should swap to?

The firmware is working.  However, you were escalated over your issue.  Please be patient, we’re having our EU team contact you to further investigate your situation.  If you don’t respond, we can’t do anything to help you.


#12

adtilley wrote:

Ive replied 

 

However, Im not running any third party apps anmd I dont think many users are

 

I think thats clouding the issue

You are right.  It is clouding the issue.  That’s why we’re trying to separate them out. 


#13

Bill_S wrote:> Because, the main issue we encountered had to do with those that were installing 3rd party apps on the My Cloud.

Bill_S,

I don’t think this is quite accurate–or perhaps it’s accurate but not the best way to think about it.

You might have “encountered” issues mostly from people installing third party apps. But gearheads like that are exactly the people who you’d expect to be most active/vocal on a forum like this.

In other threads, I’ve reported my (bad) experiences with the update, and strongly urged WD to respect the fact that, in this day and age, many people are vitally dependent on their data. I’ve done this in a manner that–while it may have been loud–was as courteous as possible.

There are many, many people out there like me (and Tamanaco) who really don’t want to have anytihing to do with the command line, with SSH, with 3rd party apps, or any of that nonsense. We just want our network drives, our “personal cloud storage,” to work. The way it’s supposed to.

Again, the gearhead DIY tinkerers are going to be the loudest. There are many more people like me who might not even be aware that this forum is here. They’re just sitting there scratching their heads and wondering what the heck happened to the data they need.

Thanks for listening, for suggesting remedies, and for escalating the issues of some of us. But to suggest that the problem is limited mainly to Linux jockeys adding all sorts of 3rd party bells and whistles to their drives is not quite accurate.

Peace out.


#14

Yes I was escalated - they rang this morning.

I explained the problem ie it isn’t working and it’s due to the firmware update and the guy seemed a little confused.

I havent heard from him since.

I was expecting you to sort this problem yesterday, let alone today - and now we’re facing a weekend and perhaps longer with an unusable drive.

And just to reiterate- I have not loaded any third party apps.  It’s out of the box - and not working properly.


#15

adtilley wrote:

Yes I was escalated - they rang this morning.

 

I explained the problem ie it isn’t working and it’s due to the firmware update and the guy seemed a little confused.

 

I havent heard from him since.

 

I was expecting you to sort this problem yesterday, let alone today - and now we’re facing a weekend and perhaps longer with an unusable drive.

 

And just to reiterate- I have not loaded any third party apps.  It’s out of the box - and not working properly.

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “sort” the problem.  Nonetheless, I will look into what happened with the call you had and follow up on it. 

I get that you have not loaded any third party apps and that out of the box it’s not working for you.  We will continue to help you.  However, a great majority of the issues we have seen with this firmware update had to do with users messing with SSH, which goes further than just installing 3rd party apps.  So, if you are not one of those, then we will continue to work with you until we find out what is going on.  Since you are in Europe and I’m in America, there may be lag times for when agents get back to you.  There is nothing I can do about that.


#16

pinax wrote:


Bill_S wrote:> Because, the main issue we encountered had to do with those that were installing 3rd party apps on the My Cloud.


Bill_S,

 

I don’t think this is quite accurate–or perhaps it’s accurate but not the best way to think about it.

 

You might have “encountered” issues mostly from people installing third party apps. But gearheads like that are exactly the people who you’d expect to be most active/vocal on a forum like this.

 

In other threads, I’ve reported my (bad) experiences with the update, and strongly urged WD to respect the fact that, in this day and age, many people are vitally dependent on their data. I’ve done this in a manner that–while it may have been loud–was as courteous as possible.

 

There are many, many people out there like me (and Tamanaco) who really don’t want to have anytihing to do with the command line, with SSH, with 3rd party apps, or any of that nonsense. We just want our network drives, our “personal cloud storage,” to work. The way it’s supposed to.

 

Again, the gearhead DIY tinkerers are going to be the loudest. There are many more people like me who might not even be aware that this forum is here. They’re just sitting there scratching their heads and wondering what the heck happened to the data they need.

 

Thanks for listening, for suggesting remedies, and for escalating the issues of some of us. But to suggest that the problem is limited mainly to Linux jockeys adding all sorts of 3rd party bells and whistles to their drives is not quite accurate.

 

Peace out.

There have been only a handful of users, like yourself, that have not had issues because of messing with SSH.  We don’t support users accessing and making changes in SSH.  Most of the issues were from that.  I do get that you were not one of those.

I know that you have been escalated and contacted for more information, and someone will soon be in touch with you to help you further.  I am hopeful of a positive outcome.


#17

I think that is what is called a ‘red herring’ in the UK.

Most of the people complaining on here that the box isn’t working now are not using 3rd party apps or any other apps with the box.

This box has been flaky and fragile from the off.  Im sure even you would admit that.  It frequently loses local network connection and remotely it’s even worse.  Now it doesn’t work remotely at all and is dropping network connection locally for me about every 15 minutes.


#18

@Bill_S

Can you do something useful for us users that have a big big problem now

Can you please explain how we can downgrade the firmware to the previous version without ssh?

That would be useful in the interim Im sure you’d agree.

Im sure you can do this.

I await your response

cheers


#19

adtilley wrote:

@Bill_S

 

Can you do something useful for us users that have a big big problem now

 

Can you please explain how we can downgrade the firmware to the previous version without ssh?

 

That would be useful in the interim Im sure you’d agree.

 

Im sure you can do this.

 

I await your response

 

cheers

We will see what we can do.  Please check your private messages.


#20

Bill_S wrote:> There have been only a handful of users, like yourself, that have not had issues because of messing with SSH.

I don’t understand how you could even really know that. Did you conduct some kind customer poll with a representative random sample of My Cloud buyers?

The “handful of users” (like myself) who are having trouble without practicing SSH witchcraft are only the ones that you’ve heard from.

The point of my previous comment was that you would expect the Linux geeks to be loud and over-represented on this forum. That’s what geeks do.

Many rank-and-file My Cloud consumers, with busy day-to-day lives and no knowledge of command line stuff, don’t have time, patience, or maybe even know-how to drill through forum thread after forum thread. Heck, even those of us like me here can’t understand half the posts, because they’re written in geek-speak for Linux freaks.

There’s nothing special about my My Cloud configuration or my network or my Mac or anything. Everything’s runs well and is up-to-date. I’m not doing anything weird with it. There’s no reason on Earth to think that we’re a special case. Rest assured, there are many more out there who aren’t poking around on forums wondering just what the heck happened overnight.