What is the optimal video settings?

I’m trying to figure out the optimal video setting on the hub, playing 1080p movies from  USB hd connected to my hub which is connected to my LG42LW550W Cinema 3D(passive) TV using a HDMI 1.4 cable!

Sound is delivered to a Sony 2.1 system using optical from my TV!

If I use HDMI/Auto/Auto/auto detect frame rate  a bunch of 1080p movies are being viewed on my TV as 720p and sound occasionally stutters and lose sync, however motion is perfect especially in panned scenes!

(Screen Size Calibration needs to be 100%)

If I use HDMI/1080p 60Hz/Auto & HDMI Deep color set to 12 bit then picture quality is amazing, sound never loses sync or stutter, but motion in panned scenes isn’t as fluid as with HDMI Auto settings!

(Screen Size Calibration needs to be 95%)

I can get both great picture quality and fluid motion if I play the movies from an USB hd directly connected to my TV, but unfortunately my TV doesn’t support DTS audio when playing from USB hd!

What would you suggest and how is your optimal video setting?

Or should I just shift the settings depending on the type of movie played?

Well, the 12-bit Deep Colour setting should have no real affect.

The Sigma chip only supports 8-bit colour into the processor, and except for some unsupported 10-bit h.264 files that have recently started apperaing in the Anime world, all your files (whether from DVD or Blu Ray) only contain 8-bit colour.

So, it doesn’t matter what your tv “can” display… if you set the WDTV to 12-bit Deep Colour output, all it’s essentially doing is taking the 8-bit colours it’s given and multiplying them by 16 to move them into the 12-bit colour space, but the colour information will still have 256 “steps” to it, the same as 8-bit, so you won’t be getting any more colour or a better picture – 8-bit and 12-bit Deep Mode should be visually indistinguishable.

I believe some of the older firmwares of the Live and Live Plus had a Deep Colour bug as well, so choosing 12-bit when you didn’t really “need” to actually caused more problems, but as far as I know that shouldn’t be the case with your Live Hub.

As to why some of your 1080p files are only being detected as 720p, I have no clue.  I also don’t know specifically why you’d be having audio issues with the Auto/Auto setting but not with 60Hz.

But yes, if you play 24fps files at 60 Hz, frame rate conversion will always necessarily take place… your smoothest option visually would always be having the WDTV and the TV at 1080/24.

Are other folks having audio issues with 1080p24 files being played Auto/Auto?

I had to go into settings and check off the use the HDMI as the only sound delivery source, under the Audio settings tab.That put all the sound in the movies that had seemed out of sync, in sync.

If I use HDMI/Auto/Auto/auto detect frame rate  a bunch of 1080p movies are being viewed on my TV as 720p and sound occasionally stutters and lose sync, however motion is perfect especially in panned scenes!

(Screen Size Calibration needs to be 100%)

Its auto detect frame rate only and not auto detect resolution, thats why your 1080p movies play at 720p. I would assume that Auto sets up your unit to a default of 720p. The only reason that the resolution changes on 24Hz movies is because 24Hz is only available as 1080p.