What is the maximum files per folder can be supported per network share

How many files per folder can be supported per network share? For example, does the firmware limit or have any limitations on the maximum amount or number of files in each folder or in the root folder?

I have a network share on my HTPC. It is a USB drive that is attached. I can see the share just fine, however, when I go in the folder, it will sometimes see 97 files. Sometimes, it will see 150 files. Sometimes, it will see 115 files.  Sometimes, 158 files.  But, there are 198 files in there total. None of the files are hidden or have weird characters in their names.

There are also 2 subfolders and only one of those shows ever.  Both have standard alphabet names, no weird characters at all.

I’ve also tested another drive with about 398 folder and it sees between 200 and 351 of the folders, a random amount each time I go into the drive.

The HTPC is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and the shares are created in a “standard” way, no username/password required.

I can’t figure out what’s going on? Is anyone else running into this problem? Does anyone have any idea what’s wrong?

Thanks!

Have you been able to resolve this inconvenience?

No, unfortunately, I haven’t.  I hope this can be resolved soon or I might have to just return this before the return period ends.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Are you using Avast anti-virus? If so then there have been major problems similar to what you describe.