What is the best NAS for WD TV Live?


#1

I read that some are buggy and some work better with WD TV Live.

Thanks.


#2

WD MyBookLive seems to work well, both for network shares and media server connections.

Nice and fast too.


#3

No complaints with FreeNAS - but if you’re looking for an appliance-based solution, it may not be the best choice.  However, it will run on pretty much any retired PC from the last decade or so that you may have laying around.

FreeNAS 8 (currently in beta) should be out fairly soon; it may be worth holding off for a few weeks until it’s released, though the current 0.7.2 release is perfectly usable.


#4

thanks to both of you.  this free nas, will it make an 8 GB usb thumb drive work with large movie files? I can only tranfer small files over wifi to the usb drive connected to the wdtv live.

I have been unable to use that so far.  until I get an external hard drive, I would like to watch movies on the flash drive.


#5

Holysmoke wrote:

thanks to both of you.  this free nas, will it make an 8 GB usb thumb drive work with large movie files? I can only tranfer small files over wifi to the usb drive connected to the wdtv live.

 

I have been unable to use that so far.  until I get an external hard drive, I would like to watch movies on the flash drive.

 

 

Well…  FreeNAS can use thumb drives as storage, yes, but I don’t understand why the movies couldn’t just be copied over to the thumb drive, plugged into the TV Live, and played directly from it.


#6

what is the sense in having a networked wdtv if you have to walk the drive back and forth?

I have a wdtv 1st gen as well and I have been doing that for a long time. 


#7

Holysmoke wrote:

what is the sense in having a networked wdtv if you have to walk the drive back and forth?

 

I have a wdtv 1st gen as well and I have been doing that for a long time. 

Perhaps I’m not understanding your question, but I don’t understand why you’d want to use an 8GB thumb drive to house your media on a network-attached storage device.  It’s a tiny amount of storage, and would negate the advantages of a network-connected media player.


#8

I was hoping to utilize what I have until I get a larger hard drive.  I have been unable to transfer to the 8 GB drive, I am guessing wifi and large files is not a match?

does large file transfers require hardwire over a LAN?


#9

As long as the files are under 8GB, there shouldn’t be an issue… unless the 8GB flash drive is formatted as FAT32, in which case you’ll hit a 4GB filesize limit.

Format as NTFS or HFS+ to allow for files up to the full 8GB.


#10

I can only transfer files like jpg’s.  If I try to transfer an mkv say 350 MB, it fails about half way through.  This happens every time.

I see the usb light flashing but then Vista tells me it was not able to complete


#11

Hmm, that’s weird.  I just transferred a 300MB MKV from OS X to a 4GB flash drive attached to the Live no problem (other than transfer speed being a bit slow and at times erratic).

Maybe someone else running Vista can chime in; I broke my Vista install setting up my Hackintosh.  :(


#12

Holysmoke wrote:

I can only transfer files like jpg’s.  If I try to transfer an mkv say 350 MB, it fails about half way through.  This happens every time.

 

I see the usb light flashing but then Vista tells me it was not able to complete

What happens if you just try to stream directly to the TV Live over a network share instead of copying to a USB disk attached to it?


#13

at times it streams dvdrips 480p, 720p no way.  It often hesitates and sometimes freezes.


#14

Sooo…back on topic.  What are some well-behaved “appliance-type” NAS units (using at least 2 drives for RAID 1) that work well with the WD Live Plus?