What is Required to Remove the Encrypted Attribute (AE) from My Passport Drive Files?

I have several folders and files located on a WD 2TB USB MyPassport drive that is now connected to a WIN10-64 desktop PC.

Originally, i.e., March of 2012, these folders/files were made while the MyPassport drive was connected to a Win XP machine, which is now defunct, and that machine has a different User name assigned.

I have a different User name for the WIN10 machine. I do have the password for the MyPassport drive.

Using win10 File Manager and Properties, I was able to navigate to a “Users who can access this file” area; there I viewed, and wrote down, the existing entries that were shown within the “User” and “Certificate thumbprint” columns.

In the “Recovery certificates for this file as defined by recovery policy” area , the “Recovery certificate” column and the “Certificate thumbprint” column are both blank, i.e., no entries were seen.

Can someone provide a step-by-step procedure for removing the AE attribute that is assigned to the folders and files on the MyPassport drive? I would rather decrypt all AE files on the My Passport drive, if possible.

TNX.

VinceofNY.

Hi VinceofNY,

You can follow the steps provided in below KBA in this concern:

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=17632