What is Partitioning?

I was receiving an error message with my current MC with the new external HD plugged in so I followed the steps to reformat and partition it. However, I have not partitioned it only because I am not entirely sure what it is.

Can someone please tell me what partitioning my HD does? I have not put anything on my HD yet.

I plan on using my HD to back up all files on one computer and transfer it to a new Mac, so is partitioning it required/recommended to do this?

Thank you

Hi mdigiorgio,

Disk partitioning or disk slicing is the creation of one or more regions on a hard disk or other secondary storage, so that an operating system can manage information in each region separately. Partitioning is typically the first step of preparing a newly manufactured disk, before any files or directories have been created.

You may refer to the link below to know how to partition a drive:

This is a data destructive process.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the response. My follow up is this process required/recommended to transfer my stuff from one Mac to another Mac?

It is not really necessary to partition the drive unless you want to create the partition to manage the files.