What happens if the mycloud 'box' gets destroyed?

One can use the Safepoint / Backup option of the single bay My Cloud to backup the My Cloud contents to a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud’s USB port. Or one could use SSH to setup a Cron job to use Rsync to backup to another local network (or attached USB hard drive) location.

Officially there is no way to backup direct from the My Cloud to an online storage service without using a computer/device as an intermediary. Unofficially, there is the following unofficial mod that may allow for backing up a My Cloud direct to a supported online storage service.

If one uses a computer as an intermediary device one could map the My Cloud to their PC then use the online backup service software to backup that mapped Share to the online service.

Or one can use software on the PC to backup to a hard drive or USB drive on the PC. I use Free File Sync (https://www.freefilesync.org/) to mirror several My Cloud Shares to a USB hard drive attached to a PC as a backup to the daily Safepoint backup that is done from the My Cloud to a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud.