What else can I try?

I’m having the same network issues as everyone else where most of the time my WDTV will not see my shred folders. I’ve tried the suggested firmware but could not get it to recognise it at all. I did get the beta firmware to work but the problem is still there.

What else can I try?

Thanks

The problem with saying “the same network issues as everyone else”  is that it doesn’t tell us anything.  It’s like going to a doctor and saying you have a fever like everyone else – fevers (and people) come in all different flavors and sizes.

You’ll have to be MUCH more specific about your network setup and what you’ve tried.  The more information, the better.  Tell us your router, your network cards, what computers are attached, what OS are you running, how you tried your shares, etc. etc.  You cannot provide too much information.

mkelley wrote:

The problem with saying “the same network issues as everyone else”  is that it doesn’t tell us anything.  It’s like going to a doctor and saying you have a fever like everyone else – fevers (and people) come in all different flavors and sizes.

You’ll have to be MUCH more specific about your network setup and what you’ve tried.  The more information, the better.  Tell us your router, your network cards, what computers are attached, what OS are you running, how you tried your shares, etc. etc.  You cannot provide too much information.

He clearly means he’s got the master browser issue. I already suggested to use a FAT32 formatted USB drive (I’m guessing he’s using NTFS)

Sorry, but I don’t buy “the master browser issue”.

I’ve sat back and watched without comment all the wonderful explanations as to how to fix it… but it never explains fully why MY setup works fine, perfectly, all the time.  I have all kinds of machines on my network, XP, Win 7, an NAS, and they are on and off at various times, and so are my three Live boxes and I NEVER had had a browser issue.  Not once, and I’ve never done anything different (other than have different things on and off at different times).

So I don’t fully accept that “master browser” is either a problem OR can ONLY be fixed by such and such a thing.  Clearly that’s not true, or I’d have problems myself.  Perhaps it’s something my router does, or something one of my machines does (but that wouldn’t explain why, when it’s off, everything still works) but there is something else besides anyone else’s explanation on how to fix things.

So – I continue to say that people need to say what their setup is, and what symptoms they are having.  Some folks can’t connect to net shares AT ALL – this isn’t a “master browser” issue, but rather how their shares are set up.  I don’t know if that’s the OP’s problem until he explains it.

(And ALL my drives, both USB and network, are NTFS formatted.  Works just fine).

mkelley wrote:

Sorry, but I don’t buy “the master browser issue”.

Hehe, suit yourself. People who do have the issue (so where the shares DO appear after 1-30 minutes) and have tried the fix, all report success (and I used to have the issue on a daily basis and I have been ‘bug free’ for almost a month now). If you would like to find out more, you can read about my quest and how I solved it here:

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=477

Guys I tried this custom firmware:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DF4O4JH5 - and it seems to have worked! Took a few tries as it did not load them on properly the first time, and took ages the second time but it did eventually work.

I hope it will continue to work now, fingers crossed, thanks for all your suggestions & help

collymonster wrote:

Guys I tried this custom firmware:  http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DF4O4JH5 - and it seems to have worked! Took a few tries as it did not load them on properly the first time, and took ages the second time but it did eventually work.

I hope it will continue to work now, fingers crossed, thanks for all your suggestions & help

Yeah you might have to press it a few times, but it should work within 30 seconds in general. Enjoy !

Also, I’d suggest for you to run regedit and redit 2 two registry value’s on your server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE → SYSTEM → CurrentControlSet → Services → Browser → Parameters->IsDomainMaster to TRUE 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE → SYSTEM → CurrentControlSet → Services → Browser → Parameters->MaintainServerList to Yes

This makes sure that a master browser election takes place within 30 seconds.