What Does Media Library Really Mean

Okay, I am thoroughly frustrated with my WD Live TV Hub and the whole experience I’ve had with it since I got it on New Year’s Eve.  I bought this item for primarily watching movie, viewing pictures, and listening to music stored on my PC/Passport. When I first got it I simply plugged my WD Passport into it.  This seemed to work pretty smoothly, but the one thing I want to achieve that cannot be done in this manner is to play music by genre and create/play playlists.  By looking at the forums, I soon learned that I would need to turn on the Media Library feature.  Further looking into the forums revealed that the Media Library option actually draws from the library present within Windows Media Player on my PC (according to one post I read).  THe last few days I have been on the phone with WD in order to make sure I am properly wired into my PC. I am as The folders I have chosen to share are appearing in the hub.  Media Library is set to ON, and the workgroup matches that on my PC.  When I click on Music, Photos, or Videos I am asked for a username and password. I enter the same as my PC’s and all goes well.  However, the folders I am seeing are clearly the same folders present in my D;drive I have allowed to share, nothing that appears it is from the Windows Media Player Library. Also, at no point when viewing a folder or file can I add it to the Media Library from Options (I ma told the Media Library cannot be built, but I’ve made sure the folders Ive chosen are read/write allowed). Also, the green button is not appearing and when I press it nothing appears for how I can filter.  Please help as I am on the verge of taking this back, but I want to get it to work.  Thanks so much for any help (WD couldn’t help me).

the forums revealed that the Media Library option actually draws from the library present

within Windows Media Player on my PC

This isn’t true at all.  The WD doesn’t give one whit about the Windows Media Player’s library UNLESS you’re using DLNA.  And if you’re using DLNA, then everything else doesn’t matter because you can’t do all those advanced features when using DLNA sources.

I [am] told the Media Library cannot be built, but I’ve made sure the folders Ive chosen are read/write allowed.

If the WD is telling you they’re read only, they’re read only.  For some reason the WD is unable to CREATE files on the share.  So you need to be certain it’s read/write.

Also, the green button is not appearing and when I press it nothing appears

The green button ONLY appears when your Content Source is set to “My Media Library.”

How do set my content source to My Media Library?

the red button

Okay, I got it now.  All of the photos, music, and videos are now in Media Library under the Files tab. However, when I hit the green Filter button whith my music, I only get four sorting options, and Genre is not one of them.  Any reason this is not showing up?

Also, once I figure out how to get Genre to show up, is there a way to just shuffle through all of a genre’s music?  Or better yet, is there a way to create a playlist within the Media Library?  Thanks for all your help.

>>TigerJon wrote:

…when I hit the green Filter button whith my music, I only get four sorting options, and Genre is not one of them.  Any reason this is not showing up?

Instead of using sort, the green button will also allow you to choose “Filter” which is what you really want to use in this situation. “Filter” has nine options, one of them being “Genre”. You will see a list of genres in alphabetical order and the you can choose the one you would like. 

>>TigerJon wrote:

…is there a way to just shuffle through all of a genre’s music?  Or better yet, is there a way to create a playlist within the Media Library?  

Not exactly sure all the options for this but, but you can do a few different things.  To shuffle a genre, set the filter the the genre you want, and then go to options, and choose the play mode you would like to use. The option for shuffle is the two crossed arrows.

As for playlists, you can create them in a third pary application to make them. I have not done too much experimenting with this but was able to create some that worked fine using “Play List Creator”. It basicaly make a text file with an M3U extension that has relative paths to each song you want on the play list.

A few options there for you, though i am sure there are others and that people may be able to offer up some advice on.

Good Luck

-P

TigerJon wrote:

Okay, I got it now.  All of the photos, music, and videos are now in Media Library under the Files tab. However, when I hit the green Filter button whith my music, I only get four sorting options, and Genre is not one of them.  Any reason this is not showing up?

Also, once I figure out how to get Genre to show up, is there a way to just shuffle through all of a genre’s music?  Or better yet, is there a way to create a playlist within the Media Library?  Thanks for all your help.

Don’t use the FILES tab.   The files tab is very generic.

If you’re wanting Music, use that tab.