What could cause WD Sync for 186GB of data to use all 2TB on My Cloud

I have a WD My Cloud and recently carried out a Full Restore. I then installed WD Sync and have folders with contents totally 185.8GB set to be synchronised. The initial sync understandable took many hours. However, now some week or so later I have 0% (Nil) space left. Can anyone help advise me as to what me be the cause and how to fix this. Even if there were the total of 5 versions of evey file erroneously saved, the total would not fill the My Cloud device. Any ideas? I’d be grateful for any clues…

Files it fails to sync seem to be stuffed in a ‘holding pen’.

You’re not the first to have Sync gobble all the space: have search of the forum.

It seems to cause a lot of prblems, so I’ve looked elsewhere, as have many others.

ps. There’s a dedicated EX2 forum; this is plain vanilla MyCloud…

Many thanks for your response. I wrongly added the ‘EX2’ and confirm I have a vanilla My Cloud, and so, I’ve amended my initial post accordingly (I trust that this does not cause confusion now). If as you imply WD Sync is likely to continue to perform this way what other sync SW do other users drift towards? any suggestions gratefully received.

I’m sure not everyone has problems with WD Sync, but a search throws up quite a lot of hits.

A number of users here use FreeFileSync. Some report it automatically installs unwanted bundled software, but I’ve always been asked, and simply decline.

I will second this. FreeFileSync currently does bundle some unwanted software (it’s how they can provide the software free), but one can skip the install of that unwanted software if they read each installation dialog screen of the FreeFileSync program very carefully and uncheck or skip the unwanted software install option/screens. It is possible to install FreeFileSync in portable mode but the portable mode prevents certain FreeFileSync features from running.

For the OP, do a search for WD Sync and you’ll see a fair amount of people are having trouble with it. One of the big complaints is the versioning feature of the program that keeps separate copies of the synced files so those files can be restored at a later time if one needs an earlier version or deleted the file. The filling of the My Cloud free space is another common complaint due (it is assumed) to failed or incomplete file syncing. The WD Sync program apparently creates several hidden folders on the My Cloud to store that failed/incomplete/versioning files which causes people to be baffled as to what is using up their free space on the My Cloud when they use either the Dashboard or Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder to view their My Cloud contents. When one uses SSH to browse the My Cloud at the root level one can see those hidden folders/files that may not be visible using other programs/software.

Thank you both for your very helpful replies. It’s good to know that my experience is not unique, but at the same time it’s disappointing to find such widespread problems with WD Sync. you would have thought that WD would have observed those observations from the Community and done some redesigning! So, I’ll give freFileSync a try and have noted your warnings about bundled software! Thanks once again.