I know nothing about these players at all and until a few weeks ago I didn’t even know they existed. I have been on AVForums where they all seem to be talking about Sumvision Cyclones but no-one answers any questions! Then I noticed Western Digital have a player and is a brand I trust instead of some obscure Chinese company with no customer service. What I want it to do is:
- Be connected to a VCR and record video tapes to it through the night and when watching tv. I can then search the recordings much easier than viewing on the tape itself and burn the content to dvd I want to keep.
- Record segments of tv programmes from my Sky+ box ready for dvd burning at a later date. I currently record football highlights (of my team) but too many batches causes the disc to show as blank so I can only burn a few times meaning the sky+ box rapidly fills up with 90min shows when I want only 3 mins or so of each one!!!
- Record HD quality camcorder footage ready for burning to dvd later to free up the memory cards
- Connect it to the pc and view any downloaded material for watching/burning to dvd at a later date
- I have also read (and I need this also so would be great to only have to buy 1) that they can be used as external hard drives as a PC back-up drive. Is this player able to do this?
These players seem to be a bit mysterious and each one seems to do loads of different stuff other ones don’t so any information anyone can provide, however simple, would be greatfully received. Also, feel free to recommend particular players as I am aware there are more than one. Many thanks.