What are these players? Will they suit my needs?

I know nothing about these players at all and until a few weeks ago I didn’t even know they existed.  I have been on AVForums where they all seem to be talking about Sumvision Cyclones but no-one answers any questions!  Then I noticed Western Digital have a player and is a brand I trust instead of some obscure Chinese company with no customer service.  What I want it to do is:

• Be connected to a VCR and record video tapes to it through the night and when watching tv.  I can then search the recordings much easier than viewing on the tape itself and burn the content to dvd I want to keep.
  • Record segments of tv programmes from my Sky+ box ready for dvd burning at a later date.  I currently record football highlights (of my team) but too many batches causes the disc to show as blank so I can only burn a few times meaning the sky+ box rapidly fills up with 90min shows when I want only 3 mins or so of each one!!!
  • Record HD quality camcorder footage ready for burning to dvd later to free up the memory cards
  • Connect it to the pc and view any downloaded material for watching/burning to dvd at a later date
  • I have also read (and I need this also so would be great to only have to buy 1) that they can be used as external hard drives as a PC back-up drive.  Is this player able to do this?

These players seem to be a bit mysterious and each one seems to do loads of different stuff other ones don’t so any information anyone can provide, however simple, would be greatfully received.  Also, feel free to recommend particular players as I am aware there are more than one.  Many thanks.

PS, I will be burning to a standard dvd player but, at a later date, will hope to be burning to Blu-ray.  Does the recording facility within the player make any difference to these?

The WDTV products are NOT RECORDERS.

Garawa wrote:

I know nothing about these players at all and until a few weeks ago I didn’t even know they existed.  I have been on AVForums where they all seem to be talking about Sumvision Cyclones but no-one answers any questions!  Then I noticed Western Digital have a player and is a brand I trust instead of some obscure Chinese company with no customer service.  What I want it to do is:

• Be connected to a VCR and record video tapes to it through the night and when watching tv.  I can then search the recordings much easier than viewing on the tape itself and burn the content to dvd I want to keep.
  • Record segments of tv programmes from my Sky+ box ready for dvd burning at a later date.  I currently record football highlights (of my team) but too many batches causes the disc to show as blank so I can only burn a few times meaning the sky+ box rapidly fills up with 90min shows when I want only 3 mins or so of each one!!!
  • Record HD quality camcorder footage ready for burning to dvd later to free up the memory cards
  • Connect it to the pc and view any downloaded material for watching/burning to dvd at a later date
  • I have also read (and I need this also so would be great to only have to buy 1) that they can be used as external hard drives as a PC back-up drive.  Is this player able to do this?

These players seem to be a bit mysterious and each one seems to do loads of different stuff other ones don’t so any information anyone can provide, however simple, would be greatfully received.  Also, feel free to recommend particular players as I am aware there are more than one.  Many thanks.

These players play media files and have no ability to record or burn, you have your computer for those tasks.

So they are not like the Sumvision Cyclone products at all then even though they both described as the same?  Forgive my stupidity, but if they don’t record anything, how do they play whats on it???  And whats the point of a 2TB hard drive in it?  Do all the items have to be placed on it as files via the PC in order for them to play???  I thought the point of these machines was to play anything anywhere whether it was put on as content from a PC, mobile phone or anything else.

I don’t want to use my PC for these tasks as it slows it immensely.  I also do not want my PC on 24/7 recording only to find a problem over night and hundreds of dropped frames only to spend another day rendering.  I’ve been there, done that and given up.

I take it you understood that by record I meant using my DVD recorder with this “player” being the method of storing and watching it all???  With a 500Gb HHD on my PC, it won’t take long at all to fill with what’s already on it!!!

Sumvision have many players and also have a few player/recorder models with tuners built in, which must be the models you have seen, I have no idea what these are like or if they will work with you DVD recorder or not.

There seems to be many players all claiming to be similar and yet are vastly different many claiming to be “all in one” or able to backup your entire collection but seemingly failing to mention digital only!  Buffalo have one, so too do some others but WD is onlly brand of these manufacturers I trust and all seem to have major flaws of some desription - the WD one being that it can’t do what the others appear to be able to.  Its so infuriating!  These players are exactly what I need, I just want to backup analogue collections to it too!!!