What are the capability upgrades in Generation 2 WDs?

Beside the Ethernet port, are there enhancements in the Video circuitry of the Gen 2?  Is the new graphics card faster and the gen 1’s slow video response time that causes jitter in scene pan and fast action scene eliminated?  I could not find it anywhere on the WD site what the enhancements in the Generation 2 of the WD Media Players are.

Have you searched the rest of the forum about this? I’d give it a try. You can also contact WD’s Technical Support by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

I realize this is a reply to an older post but it could be good info for anyone else who comes across this…

For some reason or another, this has been discussed a bit over in the ‘News and Announcements’ section at http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/WD-TV-HD-Media-Player-Gen-2-product-update-version-1-01-11-18-09/td-p/31. Perhaps a mod could place this somewhere more appropriate?

In short, the Gen2 uses the same sigma chipset as the Live which is considerably faster. There are also a few hardware fixes here and there as well. If I had to guess, Gen1 was a product that let WD hit their time to market target (christmas?) and Gen2 is what should have really gone out the door.

Gen2 really is an overall more complete product (file manager, usb powers off at shutdown, fixed a remote issue, added a few more bugs here and there, etc). Personally, I would have rather seen WD stick with just the Gen2 as an only product with the option to add a USB network adapter if that’s what you want. They could still do this but they seem pretty bent on keeping the market segmented into different levels which really seems to bug the heck out of people that want both network and rmvb support. WD’s answer seems to be that we should buy both…ok, I’ll get off my soapbox and get back to the point.

Don’t buy the WDTV1, get the WDTV2 or Live. Both have bugs but they could possibly be fixed.you may also want to look at the upcoming Boxee Box or PopBox