Western Digital World Book Edition 2 problem with disk

Hi. I have a NAS as stated in the title. It has two disks in RAID1 formation and has been working fine for a year. The other day got erros saying it is in degraded mode. Went into Storage settings and saw the second disk was showing as ‘missing’! I opened up the hardware and reconnected the disks and then the second disk was showing as ‘unassigned’.

Next to it was an option to clean the disk. I pressed that option and now the disk shows ‘new’ inthe status but in the data volume shows un-assinged. Now through the RAID settings the only way to activate this disk into a RAID 1 formation is to submit that the second disk must be in RAID 1, BUT the Warning is:

1. This process erases all the data in the device.

2. Folder share is not accessible during volume rebuild. Is the only way to backup everything on the working disk then rebuild the RAID this way or can it be rebuilt without formatting the current data drive which is in working order? Any suggestions if anyone has worked with these devices.

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en