Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player strange issue

Hi all,

I’ve had the above media player since August and as yet have not had any real issues until this Monday. I was watching an AVI file and 10 minutes into the movie the screen went blank and the remote would not work anymore. 

It seemed to have locked up. I reset the box through the pin reset and set the box to default. I went back into the film and FF to where i left off. Strangely 10 to 15 minutes later, it happened again. 

This now happens on MKv and AVi file types. I am wondering if I should fire the box(never done to yet). Or could it be overheating?

I’m a newbie so all help would be a godsend :slight_smile:

Christian.

I’m going to try an old mkv file i used to be able to view just to see :slight_smile:

Are these troublesome files ones that previously worked with no issues, or are they just being played for the first time?

Hi there,

I was able to watch a film ive seen in the past, but on another HD. That for NTFS the one I can’t is fat32. I’m wondering if it makes any difference?  

I just moving one of the problem files onto the working HD :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed lol

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr it just locked up   must be the file

mrchdavid wrote:

Hi all,

I’ve had the above media player since August and as yet have not had any real issues until this Monday. I was watching an AVI file and 10 minutes into the movie the screen went blank and the remote would not work anymore. 

It seemed to have locked up. I reset the box through the pin reset and set the box to default. I went back into the film and FF to where i left off. Strangely 10 to 15 minutes later, it happened again. 

This now happens on MKv and AVi file types. I am wondering if I should fire the box(never done to yet). Or could it be overheating?

I’m a newbie so all help would be a godsend :slight_smile:

Christian.

I have had this happen with one or two files.  At a point the movie stops.  After that point nothing works unless I turn the Plus unit off then on.  Invariably it is something wrong with the encoding that the unit can not handle.  VLC plays the two files fine.  To me, this means nothing.  It only means VLC can avoid the pitfalls of certain bad encodings better than the Plus unit.

It does not happen often,  Always resolved by re-encoding via Handbrake or may Sony Vegas if it is MP4.  A pain?  yes!  but this is the nature of the beast.  Finding what the issue is, is like finding a pin in a haystack.

Just today an MP3 in an MKV caused the Plus to crash.  Never happened before.  An MP3 crashing the unit.  VLC played it fine.  MPlayer crashed.  Audtion reported Stereo MP3.  Sony Sound Forge reported Unsupported format.  AVIDemux reported MP3 before it crashed :D  Go figure!  Complain to WD about it?  What for? :)  Life is too short.  I opened file in Audition.  Using the free AAC filter/plugin, I reencoded into Stereo AAC.  I used MKVMerge and added AAC and left the MP3 out.  Problem solved.  Plus plays it fine now.

Lesson learned:  I am starting to like stereo AAC more than MP3.  But I digress!

hi there

yeah it’s also happened on AVI files which i’ll try and decode it to mp4 and see what happends

Hi all again. Not used my box for a while but now the device seems to lock on all files  I.E. avi,mkv…

after 20 minutes the screen will go blank…remote will no longer work and to get it back I have to disconnect the power to the device for a few minutes. It does not seem to be hot so no overheating.

Any ideas guys ?  :)

mrchdavid wrote:

Hi all again. Not used my box for a while but now the device seems to lock on all files  I.E. avi,mkv…

after 20 minutes the screen will go blank…remote will no longer work and to get it back I have to disconnect the power to the device for a few minutes. It does not seem to be hot so no overheating.

Any ideas guys ?  :)

You could try resetting via the side button using a paperclip clip / cocktail stick. Press for 1 second with the unit on and fully booted up - the WDTV should reboot.