Western Digital SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCI Express Card.. HUH?

I have a fairly new PC with AMD quad core A10-5700 running Windows 8

I have 3 WD external drives of which I’m certain, two support USB 3.0

Installing a Western Digital PCI card… is this Really Necessary to achive proper transfer speeds???

Would this PCI card really be necessary for a new system platform that has primarily 3.0 USB Ports?

OR is this an  ISSUE that specifically addresses issues with only Western Digital external drives and 3.0 speeds?

If your PC already has working USB 3.0 you should not need to install the PCI  card.

Joe

1 Like

Thanks for your quick response Joe  :smiley:

I was looking for a 7 port t 3.0 USB Hub and also a 4TB WD Drive on Amazon and ran across a review/dission people were also purchasing a WD PCI Cards.  That got my curiosity up as to why there was a need.

You would only need them if you wanted more ports. It’s also not recommended to connect these drives to a hub it can cause problems.

Joe

1 Like

No Hub for external drives.  Didn’t realize that could be a concern and thanks much for pointing that out.

On the new PC I have two 3.0 ports on the front panel and two 3.0 ports on the back panel.  Also have two 2.0 ports on the back panel.  On the old PC, have regularly been using a 2.0 hub via a 2.0 port for my DSLRs for uploading images without any issues other than it’s slow.   That raises a whole 'nuther can of worms and lots more questions but I suppose not appropriate for this forum : )  

Anyway… Thanks Again Joe…!  : )