Western Digital MyBook won't be recognized

I have had my disc for a couple of years now. It has fallen to the ground a couple of times, and lately it has started to freeze, and now suddenly it won’t connect.

When I plug it in my own Macbook, I can hear it start up and the disk is driving, but my Macbook refuses to recognize it, but the noise it is making sounds like a functional harddrive.

I then tried to connect it to a Windows-PC, and the PC made a noise that new hardware was connected, but there was no way to access the files. It also come up as an alternative for discs to feed out, even though I cannot use the disc when it is connected.

I’m hoping there are someone who can help me, because I really want to save some of those files. 

Thank you!

bumpttt

CrazyEnd wrote:

I have had my disc for a couple of years now. It has fallen to the ground a couple of times, and lately it has started to freeze, and now suddenly it won’t connect.

When I plug it in my own Macbook, I can hear it start up and the disk is driving, but my Macbook refuses to recognize it, but the noise it is making sounds like a functional harddrive.

I then tried to connect it to a Windows-PC, and the PC made a noise that new hardware was connected, but there was no way to access the files. It also come up as an alternative for discs to feed out, even though I cannot use the disc when it is connected.

I’m hoping there are someone who can help me, because I really want to save some of those files. 

Thank you!

Dropping the drive a few times will certainly jack it up.  I’m sure the drive is failing.  First of all, if you’ve formatted the drive for your Mac, then even though Windows will know that the drive is there, it won’t recognize the drive because of the different format.  If you connect it to your Mac, have you checked in Disk Utilities to see if the drive is being recognized there?  If it is, you might try to run first aid and see if you can get your data.  If that doesn’t work, you’re left with data recovery.

1 Like