Western Digital My Book Live NAS

Okay, I currently have a WD TV LIVE HUB with an External 2TB Essentials Connected directly to it, and the other USB port is using a WiFi Adapter. So I’ve Filled all 3 TB’s of space up, and i am looking to add more Media In My Collection

(I started having to re-download my 4.5-6.5GB 720p’s to 1.8-2.2 GB BR-Rips and im really not too thrilled with the quality loss, i would really like to have the absolute best picture i can, but i also want to have all the movies i want-- so now we have a dillema)

So i was lookin on amazon for another hard drive and i came across this one:

Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB Home Network Attached Storage Drive

for $155

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00439GMJ2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298167265&sr=1-4

Does anyone currently have or use this hard drive? Can you comment on it or can anyone post their current “CHEAP” Nas drive that they are using? I plan on making this purchase in the next 2 or 3 days so any help or input would be greatly appreciated

And my other question is:

What makes the NAS so great? What benefits would i reap from getting the MY BOOK NAS over just getting another 2TB Essentials(For only $99 rather than $155) and plugging it into my PC and streaming it from my PC which is connected to my router, rather than connecting it directly into my router?

Okay I just realized that the My Book only has the option for it to plug into a router by ethernet, so i wouldnt be able to directly connect it to my PC using USB.

Now i know my PC has a Gigabit ethernet in it, but my router is wireless G speed and not gigabit-- so does this mean that my router will bottleneck the transfer speed to my “My Book Hard Drive” and if so, what kind of speeds should i be expecting? It will be directly connected (My Book Hard Drive → ethernet cord → router → ethernet cord → PC) ? As i can get like 25MB/s with my current external hard drive thru USB-- but i was only getting like 6MB/s when i directly connected my HUB  via ethernet and only 1.5MB/s when i wirelessly transfer files to my HUB.

So would i just be better off getting another WD Essentials, and sharing the files from it on my PC for my HUB to view, rather than getting the NAS and connecting it into my router as i would get faster transfer speed onto my USB Hard Drive rather than the Network Hard Drive?

Pulazki,

I have a My Book Live 2TB NAS, and like you, my router is not Gigabit.  What I did was, since, also like you, my PC has a Gigabit Ethernet port, I purchased a 5-port Gigabit switch, I connected my PC , the WDTV Live Hub and the NAS to the Gigabit swtich using Cat6 cables, and connected the router also to the Gigabit switch using a Cat6 cable.  This way, your PC and the NAS do not have to go through the router for normal file copy operations (mind you, I imagine your router is proving your PC, the NAS and the Hub with IP address).  In this configuration I get about 35MB/sec file transfers between my PC and the NAS, and have had no problems streaming movies of any size to the Hub from the NAS.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bart

Wait, do you have your HUB directly connected to the switch?

My computer/Router are in a completely seperate room than my HUB so i cannot directly connect it by ethernet, i have to have it connected wirelessly, can i still use the switch to gain speed’s wirelessly?

Pulazki,

I am not sure you would have any gains wirelessly.  I have not tested that and could not do it well, structural construction in my building makes wireless very unreliable, so I do not use it.  Sorry I could not be of greater help.

Regards,

Bart

Pulazki,

Oops, something I forgot in my previous post.  If your PC and NAS and router can be connected to a Gigabit switch, even though your Hub is not, you would gain the speed when trnasferring files between your PC and NAS.

Regards,

Bart