Western Digital-My Book 1TB External USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive for Mac Smartware

Followup question:  I just hooked up my Western Digital-My Book 1TB External USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive for Mac and everything went fine. The hard drive shows on my desktop, I double click on the icon and I access the MacTool for the documentation. How do I access and setup the WD Smartware? I did not get a CD or DVD with the drive and I don’t see an icon for the software on the drive. Before I give up and just use Time Machine, I figured I would try the forum. Thanks in advance.

I am running Snow Leopard is that why the VCD (Virtual CD) with software doesn’t mount on desktop. The hard drive mount fine but there is no sign of the VCD with the WD Smartware to be found?

Does anyone have any ideas or should I just go with Time Machine and cut my loses?

Thanks

Hello,

If you have installed WD Smartware:

Go to Settings.

Go to Drive Settings

Click on the Virtual CD, make sure the Virtual CD Setting is Enable.

Could you check the finder to see if the WD Smartware VCD icon is visible?

FYI: the info above is referred to WD MyBook Essential.

I did not install the WD Smartware because the VCD icon does not show up on my HD. When I connect my HD to my MacBook by USB, the WD hard drive shows on the desktop but there is only an icon in the drive with  pdf files for instructions in multiple languages. There is no VCD on my desktop and no visible software loaded on the HD.

Could you click on this link below and provide which one you have

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=1&lang=en

FYI: Some of them do not have WD Smartware or VCD as you mentioned.

If that is so, You need to move on, either use the Time machine instead.

1 Like

I have a My Book Studio which came with Smartware, but I uninstalled the Smartware and removed it from my computer yesterday because it was mis-behaving.  Now I can’t find it anymore, not on my computer nor on the drive itself.  It even disappeared from my Trash even though I didn’t empty it (it still has everything else I’ve deleted lately).  I can’t find any links to re-download the software on the WD website.  How can I replace the software that the drive came with?

1 Like

hi,

here have everything you need. http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

No, this only provides a link for the *update* to the software ("Smart"ware), not the original installation.  Funny thing is that I am reading many many many complaints that people can’t get rid of the software, yet I have somehow done just that, and I don’t even know how I did it.  The only reason I want it is to be able to change the e-label on the front of the drive, and that seems to be the only way to do it.

Anyway, what I need is a link to download the VCD software that is supposedly impossible to lose or delete, or some way to access the software on the disk, which is supposedly on a partition on the drive that is still there… somewhere.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdsmartwareutilities

is it you need?

1 Like

Yes, this was what I needed.  Thank you. You should make this information known to everyone, as there seem to be a lot of people who have complained that this VCD can’t be turned off.  Also, there should be a link to this somewhere in the product downloads section so that owners of these drives can get it.