Western Digital GOLD U.2 Drives

Can I order literally ANY U.2 cable to connect my Western Digital U.2 drive to my ASUS X99 Deluxe ii Motherboard? Or do I need a specific type of U.2 cable for connecting to an ASUS x99 Deluxe ii Motherboard? Update: A Mini-SAS U.2 cable is needed.

U.2 is PCIe based and not USB based. Typically this interface is seen in servers but cables for M.2 NVMe slots to U.2 are available on fleabay

Hi Vegan, Thank you for the reply, but you completely misunderstood my question. I’m aware U.2 is not USB based, I was using that as an “example” of how there are USB 2.0 connector cables, and USB 3.0 connector cables - and therefore wondering if there are “different” types of U.2 connection cables for connecting directly into the U.2 port of a motherboard which has such U.2 ports. My specific motherboard (ASUS x99 Deluxe ii) has 2 specific U.2 connection ports, so I don’t need to use a PCIe slot. I intend to use the specific U.2 connection ports on my ASUS motherboard. My question again is, could someone please provide me a direct link where I can purchase a compatible U.2 connection cable to connect a Western Digital GOLD U.2 drive into a U.2 port on an ASUS x99 Deluxe ii motherboard?

I purchased an internal Mini-SAS U.2 cable from Amazon.com, but have been so busy traveling for work that I have not yet had time to connect it to test and see if it works to specifically connect a Western Digital Gold U.2 drive internally to my ASUS x99 Deluxe ii motherboard. The ASUS x99 Deluxe ii motherboard has 2 Mini-SAS U.2 ports on it. But if this Mini-SAS cable works I will update here again the exact specs and a link.