Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

I bought this drive last week. It wasn’t loud when i first got it and now it is pretty loud now. Speeds are going way down on the drive when testing and sometimes it just lags out in test. I figured the 64meg of cache would really help outs its performance but i haven’t been impressed by it so far. Anyone have this drive and thoughts and suggestions on it?

25 views and not one single reply? I need some help here WD as something isn’t right with this drive.

Since there’s been no replies, maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Edit: double post.

Well i have already emailed them and never got a response. so i thought i would try my luck here but seems to be the same outcome though.

I have not heard of an issue with the 1002FAEX drive and bad performance. Do you have the latest drivers and Windows updates for you system? Does your motherboard support SATA3 (6.0Gb/s) or do you have a SATA2 (3.0Gb/s) based motherboard? One thing that you can try is putting a jumper a pins 5&6, this will slow the drive down to SATA2 (3.0Gb/s) standard and see if you still have a performance issue. Another possibility is the controller that you have. Some controllers have problems handling a 64MB cache drive. You can check with the motherboard/system manufacturer to see if there is an update for your controller and/or BIOS.

Thanks for the info my os has just been installed so maybe 5 days old and latest chipset drvers for my board is also installed. And all the possible updates has been installed for the os. I tried the jumper 5&6 and really seen no impact on the test. Was basically about the same. Chipset is a Intel ICH10R and it is a SATA 2 3.0. Do you have any compare test i can look at and see what is going on? There is one newer bios update i will look into that and see what the readme says it fixes are updates and report back on what i find out. Perhaps it is the chipset controller or either i was expecting at little too much out of the drive. Also are there any reason for it getting loud after a little usage on the drive?

Edit:

Bios flash was for updated new cpu support. So no help there.

We don’t do any type of comparison testing. There are 3rd party entities that do that for us like Tom’s Hardware. They do a lot of testing on our drives and put them against other manufacturers. Some drive noise is common depending on what the drive is doing. However, the sound that you describe doesn’t seem to be normal. It’s possible that you may have a bad or damaged unit. You can try replacing the drive to see if another unit has the same issue. It will help to narrow down if it is the drive or system related.

Okay i will contact Newegg and see what they say about doing the rma. Unless i rma it to you but the that makes me ask what kind of drive will i get back a “Brand New” or a “Recertified” drive? As i feel a one week drive shouldn’t be replaced with a recertified drive.