Western Digital at Pwn2Own 2021

Western Digital is pleased to announce that we are participating in the ZDI Pwn2Own Austin 2021 as an event partner this year offering three of our devices as targets. We have offered the Western Digital My Cloud Pro Series PR4100, the 3TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud from WD, and the SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE ArmorLock SSD 1 TB as targets this year. Additionally, we also included the Beta release of the Western Digital 3 TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud to this year’s list.

All vulnerability disclosures at Pwn2Own are confidential and have a 90-day disclosure window. In the last 2 days, we have received multiple reports of successful exploitations and we are very happy with the findings. This is a fantastic opportunity to test our product’s security against some of the top security minds in the business. It is also a great learning opportunity to see the different creative approaches in the end-to-end exploit reports. Not only can we address the bugs discovered in our devices, but by studying the vulnerability and exploit techniques we can enhance our mitigations, sandboxing, and automated testing. This enables us to better protect our users and improve our products.

The successful teams have won $220,000 till now and it’s only Day 2. We are excited to see how the rest of the competition goes. Again, we’d like to thank ZDI and TrendMicro for running a successful event and all the teams that participated and helped make our products more secure.

1 Like