Welcome!

Hi Norman_Kent,

Some troubleshooting steps, so we can investigate your issue a bit further:

• Make sure the cable is secure so that the power and data to the disk are not interrupted. Disconnect and reconnect if needed, and make sure dmesg log reflects a change in device status.
  • When you type ls -l /dev/sd*, does the /dev/sda entry actually exist? Are there any other entries?
  • Does sudo partprobe -s list the disk?
  • Can you try performing a basic read from the disk, like so: sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1
    This should error out if the disk is not accessible.

As others have noted, my WD 314GD Pidrive is all that came in the box - full stop. I am using a cable from another WD My Passport drive. When connected the drive light flashes and the unit beeps.
I followed the trouble shooting steps above with the following results:

1. the dmesg log does indicate when the drive is connected and when it is not
  2. the command ls -1 /dev/sd* yields /dev/sda
  3. the command sudo partprobe -s yields /dev/mmcblk0:msdos partitions 12 <56789>3
  4. the command sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1 yields dd : opening ‘dev/sda’ : no such file or directory

Thanks, Norman_Kent. I’m trying to narrow down the issue, but if it’s a hard drive issue I’ll talk to someone about RMAing it for you.

In the meantime:

• After you connect the drive, can you copy and paste the messages output to dmesg? In particular, I’m looking for driver messages that might indicate any error conditions. You might be able to filter out relevant messages like so: dmesg | grep sd
  • Just to check, did you include the first slash in /dev/sda when typing in the dd command above?
  • With the drive connected, can you try the command lsusb -t to show a list of connected USB devices?

Hi, the beeping means there’s insufficient power to the drive. If you plug the drive into a PC (with good USB ports), the beeping should go away (although you’d need to run Windows disk management to see and format the drive).

When using with RPi:
set max_usb_current=1 in config.txt. If using Berryboot, this is done automatically.
Use a 2A minimum 5V power supply (2.5A minimum if RPi3) with good quality USB power cable.
A larger power supply may be needed depending on what other peripherals are loading the USB bus and overall system (including Ethernet and camera I/O). WDLabs is working on sourcing of higher-current power supplies (current offering is 2A).
Use a good quality, short (<24") USB cable between RPi and drive (such as the WD USB3 cable you are using).

If the above is followed and the drive still beeps, it would be best to send a photo of the setup so we can visualize the system power loading.

Thanks.

Dave Chew
WDLabs
dave.chew@wdc.com

Dave,
Per your recommendation I connected the Pidrive to my laptop running win7. The beeping stopped and the light remained on without flashing. Win7 installed drivers for the disk, but the WD SES USB Device => failed.
I though that I had successfully modified the Config file on the RPi, but found that the mile still did not have the max_USB command. When this was added and the PIDrive connected, the power issue went away. Sudo partprobe -s list is /dev/sda: msdos partitions; /dev/mmc… ect. The command dd if=dev/sda pf=/dev/null sb=512 count=1 yields 1+0 records in; 1+0 records out; 512 bytes ((512 B) copied, 0.00153213 334kBs.
So good so far.
However, now I am lost in where I am in the format, name, mount procedure
I thought that I had formatted the disk ext4 and named it “Data”. The dmesg listing shows sda: unknown partition table.
the command sudo mkdir /mnt/Data returns file already exists
sudo mount -t ext4 -o “noatime” /dev/sda /mnt/Data yields a flashing light on the disk - only
sudo umount /mnt/Data stops the flashing light returning it to steady on.
having resolved the power problem, where am I in getting access to the disk drive?

Hi Norman_Kent, really glad to hear we’re making some progress!

Others are far better qualified to suggest next steps (my background is mechanical eng…), but until someone chimes in to advise you properly, you can try using the fdisk command to check out the drive and mkfs to reformat it as required.

sudo fdisk -l will show you status of your storage devices

if the HDD is /dev/sda (can verify via the above), then to work on it, enter:
sudo fdisk /dev/sda

then enter a letter corresponding to the list of the commands at the end of this note below. What I do to reformat a drive is

d (delete partition(s))
n (create a new partition). I usually accept the subsequent defaults.
w (write: execute the changes and exit)

Then you can format the drive using the mkfs command, such as, for ext4:
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

You can check the formatted partition using: sudo fdisk /dev/sda -p

Then for mounting and setting permissions, see this link:

Again, I’m not a SW person and the above may be incomplete, or there may be better ways to do this. So I hope the SW pros will quickly jump in!

Berryboot (free download at High-Performance SSDs, HDDs, USB Drives, & Memory Cards | Western Digital) gets around the task of setting-up the drive. It allows multiple OS/apps to be loaded on the HDD, launched via a simple menu. You might want to give it a try.

Thanks.

fdisk commands:
Command (m for help): m
Command action
a toggle a bootable flag
b edit bsd disklabel
c toggle the dos compatibility flag
d delete a partition
l list known partition types
m print this menu
n add a new partition
o create a new empty DOS partition table
p print the partition table
q quit without saving changes
s create a new empty Sun disklabel
t change a partition’s system id
u change display/entry units
v verify the partition table
w write table to disk and exit
x extra functionality (experts only)

Thanks for the help. I have manage to mount the PiDrive and to access it, both write and read. Which is good. However in all of the bashing about, I have lost the ability to edit /ect/fstab, and therefore cannot automate the mounting process until I can regain access to this file. All in all it has been an learning experience, but one that could have been accomplished with any passport drive that I already have and an additional power supply. Cheers.

Hi, I’m new to the PI but just a thought. Why didn’t you just leave it NTFS? This mounts OK on my PI (latest one). Can you plug it in to your win7 box and reformat it?