We need a new power adapter for MyCloud and 1TB HardDrive

We are living in New Zealand and have been unable to find one on the NZ market… here are the products we have
My Cloud
12 Volts
1.5 Amps
18 Watts

WD Elements Desktop
12 Volts
1.5 Amps
18 Watts

It looks like we can buy the same adapter twice. Is this correct?

We have found people selling items such as

WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2)
12 Volts
1.5 Amps
18 Watts

Which look again the same…? Could we use the adapter to run our Cloud and Drive?

Hoping to order from a company that ships fast and affordable to New Zealand.

Thanks for any help.

@Patricia7 Have you looked at the Western Digital Store?

WD External Hard Drive and Internal Hard Drives | Western Digital

Check the usual places if you haven’t done so already. Amazon, eBay, etc. (or their equivalents in your country). Also couldn’t hurt to contact WD directly (International Phone Numbers | Western Digital) since this is mostly a user to user support forum, to see if they’ll sell you a country specific power supply unit.

For example, on the US Amazon site:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wd+my+cloud+power+suppy

If one still has the original power supply they can check if Asian companies/website (where the power supplies are typically manufactured) sell replacements by searching for the power supply manufacturer or model number. Likewise there are some electronics part suppliers that may have compatible power supplies.

Yes

And Yes to using the WDTV HD Media Player power supply … i have a spare one that i use to power an old 1TB WD Elements desktop drive, works fine.

I would probably recommend looking at Ebay or Gumtree for an adaptor.

2 problems ordering from US Amazon when living in New Zealand or Australia

Postage costs more than the item itself … and the US power plug is the wrong type, and would need a universal adaptor to plug into AU/NZ wall sockets.

Uh I wasn’t saying to use the US Amazon site I was suggesting using the NZ version (if there is one) or as my post indicated “their equivalents in your country”. Since I don’t live in NZ I don’t know exactly how Amazon works in that country, or how they ship things to it. If it ships from the US and or is the wrong wall plug/voltage type, then try another online retailer that is local to NZ or which has cheaper shipping methods to one’s country.

Of course if it is the wrong plug/voltage type and one cannot find the correct wall plug/voltage type for their country from online retailers, and if after contacting WD and WD won’t sell the appropriate country specitic adapter, then one could always spring for an adapter that converts things from one type/voltage to another as a last resort. May cost more money but it is an option.

Edit to add: Article from 2018 on Amazon “International Shopping”.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/amazon-launches-new-shopping-experience-for-kiwis/XYAYIO54OZ4JLEVTCWRC3KY6WA/

The International Shopping experience displays clear pricing in New Zealand Dollars, shipping costs and import duty estimates with Amazon coordinating with courier services for customs clearance on behalf of the customer so there are no surprises at the time of purchase or delivery.

New Zealand customers can choose from different shipping options and delivery speeds.

The experience is available on mobile browser and mobile app for both iOS and Android mobile devices.

To get started, customers can download the free Amazon Shopping App from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and they will automatically be placed into the International Shopping experience, based on their location.

The International Shopping experience offers shopping in 5 languages, including English, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, German, and Brazilian Portuguese, with the ability to shop in 25 currencies.

ok, ok, ok settle down, don’t burst a blood vessel … point taken :grinning: