We need a DATE for the fix that will enable all MKV's to play again, this is rediculous!

Hi I know that WD have a fix for the issue of the WDTV Live not playing back nearly all new MKV’s (as a result of them being created using a new version of MKVmerge) as an engineer told me that this was the case but when in Gods name will we see it?

It could get WD into some hot water with the trades description act over here bearing in mind they are selling a device which states it plays MKV’s when in fact it only currently plays some of them!

I’ve been very patient waiting for this firmware upgrade and can’t believe they don’t get this fix out as it’s a major one. I realise there is a walk around in the form of cleaning the file using a particular program but considering the number of effected files this isn’t a viable path for me. To be honest why should I have to do this anyway when my device states that it plays MKV’s.

Come on WD at least give us a date of when we might see this fix in a firmware update!

Well rant over FOR NOW!

This issue only started 2 months ago, so only a fraction of created MKV files should be problematic.

If you are creating them yourself, you should know what the correct settings are to use by now.  The solution is also well known (and takes seconds, or create a batch and leave it running overnight if you have that many).

The situation was caused by a software developer randomly decided to implement a feature without announcement, catching ALL the media player manufacturers off-guard.

We’ll probably see an update in a firmware before the end of the year, perhaps sooner if they release another beta.  

By now, those of us who’ve been on the forums a while known better than to expect (demand?) a date from WD and for them to stick to it.  ;)

Greedy80 wrote:

Hi I know that WD have a fix for the issue of the WDTV Live not playing back nearly all new MKV’s (as a result of them being created using a new version of MKVmerge) as an engineer told me that this was the case but when in Gods name will we see it?

It could get WD into some hot water with the trades description act over here bearing in mind they are selling a device which states it plays MKV’s when in fact it only currently plays some of them!

• *> So you think that you can take on a Multi-national company by threatening them with the trades description act! It does play mkv files. It does not say that it can play every mkv file. Also MKVmerge is a freeware program and unless you are a Matroska expert how do you know that they are encoded properly. Lets face it WD have more problems on their hands then the fact this unit cannot play your mkv files. Some people with the live plus cannot use Netflix or LIve365 because of bugs. If you rant expect feedback.