We have passed this along to support

You can feel a rant coming up can’t you?

Well lets start with the frustration first. I haven’t upgraded to OS X El Capitan because I really don’t want to lose access to my Cloud Drvie. The problem is that it I don’t have any further information because parts of the problem and resolution (if any) is now a part of the black hole just like everything else for the last four years since I bought a WD product.

A solution from WD is rarely provided and we as users have no idea whether or not a problem has been fixed, shoved under the carpet, or resolved with the latest update.

When a solution is found, it is always from one of few users and I think it is time for that to change.

I really hate the words “We have passed this along to support?”

Is that a catch all phrase to quiet down the masses from rioting? Is the problem being resolved?

Solution:

Let us know by posting up information from the tech folks at WD?

If there is testing at WD since you have all the hardware and software, let us know what works and what doesn’t.

You know, I don’t even know if your last few firmware versions even fixes the USB connection problem, you know the original one that made me post up my original post here (reboot with USB attached and it locks) and that was almost 2 years ago because no one ever refered to it again; but it pops up ever now and then when someone reboots with an attached USB.

We really need forum feedback from the WD Folks, like, is OSX El Capitan really the culprit or is it the latest version of the WD Firmware problem? (You can tell if you have a Mac and a WD with FW version 3.04 whether it is still connecting and mapping). Or possibly is it a WD software problem where all these folks that are having problems are trying to access the Cloud via software alone and it has nothing to do with OSX El Capitan.

Look, It is not just OSX El Capitan!!

For years I’ve been reading problems on this WD Forum and repeatedly I keep seeing problems disappearing into the black hole with “We have passed this along to support” and we never see the resolution. 

Even the security hole that a guy claims that is first priority was posted up several months ago and suddenly he disappears with the subsequent post “We haved passed this along to support”, the WD site goes down and a whole new Operating system is posted up? is this related or a coincident?

Please change the way you do business because I’m really fed up with this black hole knowledge.

Please have someone from WD post up your findings.

Answer the questions with knowledgeable solutions so the rest of us can benefit from it.

Not only do you have me locked with an old firmware on my WD at 3.04 for fear that I will have to send it back for an even older refurbished WD model, you now have me in fear of updating all my Apple products; my Mac Mini, Apple TV, iphone, ipad and my microwave oven.

For those who are reading, support this post with a rebel demand that WD be more  transparent otherwise they will pass this along to support!!

What Does It Really Mean to Be Transparent?

May 02, 2011  .Elissa Nauful

If you’ve had any exposure to social media, you’ve probably already heard the term “transparency” before. You’ve also probably heard that it’s a very good thing for social media users to have. So fine. You want to be transparent, then. Good. But what does that mean for your business, exactly? It’s time to break down that term as it relates to your company’s involvement in social media.

It means what you think it means.  Just as the term implies, your customers need to be able to see who you really are on social media platforms. Don’t overthink what your image should be or try to be something you aren’t. Your authenticity will translate as both honesty and integrity to your customers.

It means you’re not afraid.  If your company stays transparent via social media, it shows your customers that you’re brave enough to welcome criticism. Your willingness to open yourself up to positive and negative feedback, and then address both publically, will immediately build brand trust.

It means you have nothing to hide. Kind of.  Yes, you should be up front and personable via social media. However, you should not overshare either. Trade secrets, tedious company details, and your heartbreak over a recent break-up do NOT need to be disclosed. Rather share what is appropriate and engaging, share often, and always keep it professional.

** It means saying that you work there.** If you are tweeting from your personal account about a fantastic company product, you need to share your connection to your company. Not only is that an ethical social media standard, but the FTC insists upon it.

It means you like to talk.  Transparent companies engaging through social media like to have online conversations with their customers. They reply to comments, they retweet funny ideas, and they treat their customers like new friends. This is social media, after all.

Without a doubt, transparency is a fundamental part of most successful social media connections and campaigns. And your company’s willingness to be transparent in a way that customers have come to expect will only mean further brand loyalty in your future.

1 Like

Good Evening,

The issue reported regarding El Capitan and NAS connectivity has resulted in the following KBA for now.

Error: ‘Connection Failed’ occurs when selecting a My Cloud device through Finder’s Shared sidebar
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13182

Thank You,

Samuel Brown

SBrown wrote:

Good Evening,

The issue reported regarding El Capitan and NAS connectivity has resulted in the following KBA for now.

Error: ‘Connection Failed’ occurs when selecting a My Cloud device through Finder’s Shared sidebar
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13182

Thank You,

Samuel Brown

Fully Appreciated… keep up the good work Samuel Brown!! +2 for WD!!

ot a permanent solution. You need to keep having to re connect.

deepakvrao wrote:

ot a permanent solution. You need to keep having to re connect.

We do realize that it’s not a permanent solution, but it should help until we can provide a fix.

Bill_S, I really was expecting to see a post that said “We have passed this along to support” :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways this is still one of many problems that are floating around the forum right now.

Things like 

Latest firmware still vulnerable

After firmware update to v04.04.00-308 my external USB WD MyBook 1230 disappeared

It is not too bad at the moment… but I still don’t know whether Version 4.xx ever solved the not being able to mount the USB My-book problem or whether there was a solution to the SMB speed?

I know answers are all over the place and I try to read ALL of the posts here but I shouldn’t have to. We should see announcements somewhere that problems like USB connectivity or SMB speeds are back to normal or resolved by a certain  procedure.

Now I have a new problem and that is I don’t have cloud access anymore because my iPad has upgraded to the latest version but my FW on my Cloud is still 3.04. I haven’t tried to log in yet on my iPad Cloud software and there are no-one else on this forum that seem to have that problem (of course I haven’t asked), but I was annoyed yesterday at the gym when I saw the new cloud app and I remain annoyed today after seeing all these updates making my hardware useless.

Ralphael wrote:

Bill_S, I really was expecting to see a post that said “We have passed this along to support” :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways this is still one of many problems that are floating around the forum right now.

Things like 

Latest firmware still vulnerable

After firmware update to v04.04.00-308 my external USB WD MyBook 1230 disappeared

It is not too bad at the moment… but I still don’t know whether Version 4.xx ever solved the not being able to mount the USB My-book problem or whether there was a solution to the SMB speed?

I know answers are all over the place and I try to read ALL of the posts here but I shouldn’t have to. We should see announcements somewhere that problems like USB connectivity or SMB speeds are back to normal or resolved by a certain  procedure.

Now I have a new problem and that is I don’t have cloud access anymore because my iPad has upgraded to the latest version but my FW on my Cloud is still 3.04. I haven’t tried to log in yet on my iPad Cloud software and there are no-one else on this forum that seem to have that problem (of course I haven’t asked), but I was annoyed yesterday at the gym when I saw the new cloud app and I remain annoyed today after seeing all these updates making my hardware useless.

I was tempted.  :smiley:

Both of the above issues, that you posted links for, are already being investigated, though we’re still in the “contact the user and get more information stage.”  However, I’m not sure the second issue that you posted the link to above is USB drive issue.  But that will be confirmed one way or another.  

Here is a list of what the firmware update for My Cloud 3.0 included.  

• Resolved issue of capacity in home page disappears after firmware update
  • Improved logging
  • Improved security
  • Addressed known command injection, SSH default password and CSRF security vulnerabilities
  • Applied fix for Poodle security issue
  • Improved Time Machine performance
  • Supports My Cloud OS 3 operating software
  • Supports WD Sync™ which syncs data across multiple PCs, notebooks and Mac computers
  • Supports MyCloud.com – web access portal and Learning Center (replacement for WD2go.com)
  • Supports My Cloud mobile app with sharing and Automatic Camera Roll Backup
  • Supports NAT-PMP that allows automatic port forward connection on Apple routers

We did a lot of fixing for security issues.  And some of the basic architecture changes should have improved mobile access and transfer speeds.

As for your lost access on the iPad, what specifically are you referring to: your iPad firmware or the WD mobile software on the iPad got updated?

Also, if you’re running the older firmware on the My Cloud, you won’t be able to access your data through mycloud.com.  As you see in the release notes above, WD2go.com was replaced by MyCloud.com, and the new site requires the new firmware to run Webfiles.

(In response to your initial post)

I apologize for the frustration caused by us saying that “we’ve passed this along to support.”  However, it might help to explain what happens after you see that post.  

1. The issue encountered gets passed along to support.  
  2. Support contacts the users offline to do some simple troubleshooting to make sure that issue persists.  
  3. If the issue persists, support gets all the relevant information, including any logs from users, so our engineering team can attempt to replicate the issue.  
  4. The issue is escalated to our engineering team to triage and try to find the root cause.

Many times, not always, but many times there was no issue.  Some things get fixed in the initial support troubleshooting process.  So, you never hear about them again.  Users, sometimes, don’t even report back to the community.    Nevertheless, it’s never that we don’t take seriously the issues that our users encounter.  We always take them seriously.  And, frankly, when it comes to security issues, these are always a top priority for us to fix.

The problem is that some of the issues take time to fix, test, and release.  And it’s in that time span that we won’t have anything to report.  

As you have already seen in this thread, we do now have other staff members stepping up to engage with the community.  So, we are working on improving our overall response with the community.  

Now, concerning transparency let me take a quote from the article you posted:

It means you have nothing to hide. Kind of.  Yes, you should be up front and personable via social media. However, you should not overshare either. Trade secrets, tedious company details, and your heartbreak over a recent break-up do NOT need to be disclosed. Rather share what is appropriate and engaging, share often, and always keep it professional.

You need to understand that we’re part of the high technology industry.  We have to be very careful about what and how much we share about our products.  So, we’re just not going to give you all the information that you want.  It’s not us being afraid or trying to hide anything.  It’s us protecting our business.  

However, having said that, we are also learning what is and isn’t really important to share, and where being open with the users is really to our benefit.  And we’ll get there.  So please be patient with us.

Thank you Bill_S, I really appreciate the time and effort you put in answering my questions and my initial post.

still have that issue on 308

• Improved logging

logging may work but logging in is slooow

• Improved security

aha

LardVader wrote:

• Improved logging

• Improved security

aha

welcome to the thread… and it is good to know what works and what doesn’t 

LardVader wrote:

• Improved logging

• Improved security

aha

Just so you know,

• Everytime you update, the device goes through the indexing process all over again, so it may take time for the numbers to show.
  • Improved logging is referring to us creating better logs for what is going on in the device when it’s working, not logging in anywhere.
  • Improved security is referring to all the fixes we applied for existing, known security vulnerabilites.  Are you implying we have other security issues?  If so, what are they.

Bill_S How are we contacted offline? Email,Phone,PM on the forum? I had  a problem and still have problems. I have not had anyone contact me after you said it was “passed to support”

After updating my firmware I was going to let this post slide after you answered so eloquently, however… with all these bugs in the new OS3 I have been reading and reading… and trying to figure out why my USB doesn’t connect…

So here is another post that went under the “We have passed this along to support.”

Folders Within Public Share Read-Only after Firmware Update

I didn’t read the whole thread because I was getting frustrated at the fact that it was all users that tried to resolve the problem. Where are you guys? 

Now the reason that I’m looking into the Public Share folder is that I don’t know if the USB problem is related to the public folder.

Bear with me… I keep getting the feeling that this forum is full of whinners and it is really really getting to me, because I’m one of them too… and I’m getting frustrated more and more by the minute.

I turned off sharing of my Public folder in FW version 3.04 and 4.00x on both cloud by using the edit Public name which gives an error, then I would turn off Public. After I upgraded to 4.04, I cannot turn on public on the public share folder.

I see in my logs, the attempt to mount the USB to the Public directory of which this public thing might be the problem.

So… that is now in another post… but yes… I know you have a dozen WD products and there are multiple forums and perhaps there are only one Bill_S and perhaps a couple of tech guys… and no QA, but that is, as much as I would like to sympathize with you, that is really WD’s problem to get enough support.

This read-only Public folder needs to be looked at also. So I’m bringing back up this post.

Do something… and please don’t try to convince me how overworked and stressed you are (perhaps you are not) but I’m absolutely frustrated. I know you are trying… but it isn’t enough… really… 

from the customer side, I just spent 3 days copying, backing up my files, upgrading, troubleshooting, now I’m stuck… 

so I was going to edit my last post on how I finally read through pages and pages of how people couldn’t write into their public folder and right there in the middle of the post is a patch and you telling people to phone in tech support to get it, like WTH??? and trying to copy link that download deb file was simply a farce until cpt-paranoia finally gave me a good link.

I have spent the whole day trying to resolve this… and I shouldn’t have to… 

really… seriously…

and to have to read through 17 pages of public folder whinning to find a solution; this should be on a first page announcement on “How to fix a public folder”

I don’t have the exact public folder problem as everyone else, I do have a public folder that is no longer public and I cannot turn it back on to Public.

So after spending the whole day finding out solutions to public folders, it was not the solution to mounting a USB drive. I’m at a total loss to how to fix this one…

Now to wait till Monday for you to pass this on to Support… 

ps. I’m taking down my 5 star rec on Best-buy for your Cloud. 

so I found this… 

wdcomp.d/boot/bootscript_005_wd-nas:publicShareName=“Public”

wdcomp.d/boot/bootscript_005_wd-nas: chmod 775 “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Music”

wdcomp.d/boot/bootscript_005_wd-nas: chmod 775 “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Videos”

wdcomp.d/boot/bootscript_005_wd-nas: chmod 775 “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Pictures”

wdcomp.d/boot/bootscript_005_wd-nas: chown root:share “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Music”

wdcomp.d/boot/bootscript_005_wd-nas: chown root:share “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Videos”

wdcomp.d/boot/bootscript_005_wd-nas: chown root:share “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Shared Pictures”

So with the bootup of v04.04.00-308 the Public shares are reset to public no matter what…

I hope with the new Web page this info will be communicated more effectively…

@JohnSypin,

They will Private message you here on this forum asking if you would like to have tech support call you; you would have your phone number registered with them.

I just got called today regarding the problem of USB attachment of “My Book” to My Cloud. I got PM’ed yesterday asking if I wanted to escalate this problem, I did want it escalated but I didn’t want the phone call because I felt that this is a bug in OS3 and not in my “My Cloud” personally. 

I got a phone call anyways, on a Saturday (amazing that they are actually working on Saturday) and so I gave him all the info that I had found. 

He then asks for my logs, which I did not give him. He then offered to RMA my Cloud, which I was surprised, but I had to decline because I just finish copying 4TB of data over 3 days and I’m not about to send off My Cloud. Anyways, I told him that I have two clouds and they both exhibit the same problems, so it is not the Cloud but the latest firmware. 

Anyways… I think what we need is a stickied “Problems and Resolutions” that is updated by the moderators or Bill_S that can indicate the statuses of problems that is being worked on and problems that has been resolved without the user having to dig through multiple posts, multiple pages and to find that any solution is already implemented. 

So… please pass this along to support…

@Ralphael Yeah they finally contacted me after I posted on this thread. Just had my download the latest firmware from the website and install it. That did’t help I kind of figured it wouldn’t  The told me it was defective and to RMA. So I am currently backing it up to send back. I doubt it will make a difference I think its firmware problems more than something wrong with the hardware in the device.  My problems only happen using the dashboard. I can acess my shares fine using file explorer.  It’s just a pain if I need to use the dashboard for anything.  I thought about just keeping it I see people have been posting the same problems  since I first got this and the 4.0x firmware came out. Not much seems to get fixed

I won’t deter you from your RMA, but it seems that everyone that has any kind of problem gets RMA’ed :stuck_out_tongue:

Once you get another one I would suggest doing a bit of reading. This device is a lovely device only if you know what makes it tick and there are a lot of ticking beneath the hood.

However they seem to have plans to have a new forum so I don’t know how much of our old knowledge will be carried over.

pauldwd wrote:

Figured I would provide an update before the Read-Only lockdown. 

Finally performed a Factory System Restore (Data left intact)…  Now it’s like a Brand New system. 

Just re-creating all the accounts and kicked off a new Backup to my Drobo NAS that should take a few days to complete.

Thanks and hopefully this helps anyone suffering the same issues.

This guy said that a System Only Factory Restore solved all his issues with OS 3. I know you spent a lot of time yesterday on that USB issue, but did you try doing a System restore?

1 Like