Wdtv when off tv goes black unless hdmi cable out

but the tv only stuffs up when wdtv is off and hdmi still in.

the bluray player has been in hdmi since we got it and it has not stuffed the tv up.

if it was the tv then the bluray player when off would stuff up the tv too

i have also heard of dodgy HDMI port in some wdtvs.

@star_64,

Toshiba 32AV500A.

The suffix A recognises the TV as Australian DVB-T.

http://www.comparison.com.au/televisions/Toshiba/32AV500A#product_specs

HD Inputs: 1080i, 1080p, 576p, 720p

1366 x 768 pixel resolution

Line Scanning System: Progressive

Max Display Resolution: 720p

You are watching 1080p bluray downscaled by the Toshiba 32AV500A to 720p which is normal in your situation and by your description the Toshiba 32AV500A is functioning correctly. That confirms that the Toshiba 32AV500A HDMI port electronics are functioning to HDMI specifications.

Have you tried the WDTV Live on another digital TV using the same source material?

If the WDTV Live functions correctly on another digital TV with the same source material, then there is an incompatibility issue between the Toshiba 32AV500A and WDTV Live.

The probability is that the Toshiba 32AV500A is trying to lock into a WDTV Live resolution that the Toshiba 32AV500A cannot natively handle and in the process the Toshiba 32AV500A electronics are locking up. When you unplug the WDTV Live; the Toshiba 32AV500A electronics reset.

If you suspect a faulty or an incompatible product; your only option is a product return or warranty service. Being an Australian resident, you should be aware that under ACCC consumer regulations, Australian warranties are handled by the retailer you purchased the goods from and not the manufacturer of the goods. It is the retailer’s responsibility to contact; usually they will give you a service agent’s number to arrange a direct house call.  

@thepanoguy

so you are saying that while watching the wdtv and it says at 1080p the when turned off and we are watching tv that the tv is still trying to read at 1080p resolution but cant and just fails?

we have another full hd tv in another room to try it on. i just have to find the right time to do it.

i also took it back to harvey norman and they wont take it back unless they see something wrong with it.

they plugged it in with hdmi to see, but it did not stuff up. i did explain that it has to be turned off and watching tv for a while but they kept changing it on and off so we could not really tell if it was going to stuff up or not.

@star_64,

According to the published Toshiba 32AV500A specifications regardless what HDMI source you plug into the HDMI inputs, the Toshiba 32AV500A will always downscale 1080p HDMI source material to the resolution limitation of the LCD display which is 720p.

If the Toshiba 32AV500A cannot handle the WDTV Live HDMI source material the only option you have is to test the WDTV Live using the same source material on another HDMI capable Digital TV. If that Digital TV functions without lockup then you have an incompatibility issue between the WDTV Live and the Toshiba 32AV500A.

If that is the case you will need to contact the Australian service agents for both the Toshiba 32AV500A and the WDTV Live for a resolution. You are wasting your time dealing with sales staff; they are not qualified service agents. Deal directly with the franchisee. If he refuses to co-operate, address the complaint in writing to the consumer authority in your state and let them deal with the retailer’s warranty obligations.  

Maybe you could use a video camera to record it stuffing up and take the recording to the retailer to view.???

i was thinking of recording t stuffing up, but first i have got to get it on the other tv to test.

we just got a new tv so we just have to wait and see if it stuffs up on this one or not

I have the same effect through a hdmi switch box, if the WDTV is in hdmi 1, but not any other input. Just leave it switched on and all is well.