WDTV Tip for dual device sites

I don’t know if it is written somewhere in the documentation / user manual or not.  But it bears repeating in any case.

I just installed my 2nd WDTV Live in my home, and had no end to problems… until I renamed the device.  Go into the setup and rename your 2nd device to something like “WDTV Live2”, and that will do it.  You must do a “Device restart”, but it works a lot better after that.

I think the device name is under Network Setup.

1 Like

Yup

think a read this before but thanks for sharing the workaround

It does not only occurs with the WD TV, in a local network  2 devices cannot have the same name.

2 pawnslinger

Hi,

When you have two SMPs in one network and both have connected external USB hard drives - can you play on SMP1 movie from SMP2’s  hard drive? In other words - use one of them as media server.  Or it’s only Hub’s functionality?

vaskokvas wrote:

2 pawnslinger

Hi,

When you have two SMPs in one network and both have connected external USB hard drives - can you play on SMP1 movie from SMP2’s  hard drive? In other words - use one of them as media server.  Or it’s only Hub’s functionality?

You can do this by setting up SMP2 as a Network Share Server (it’s Enabled by default) and accessing SMP1 via the “Network Share” content source.

2  TonyPh12345

So there is no big difference - to have one Hub and one SMP or two SMPs (now I’m exactly thinking of buying second SMP or Hub)? The main idea is comfortable (if possible) access from every player to files on both HDs. Or there is still something, what can force me to pay some extra for Hub?

Thanks

The primary advantages to the hub are;

Built-in storage

Twonky Media Server (for access from devices that do not support network shares but DO support DLNA.)

Etc.

I see. In my case internal storage is only a minus - too small and needs fan (means noise).

Thanks a lot for advice!