WDTV starting issue

Hi guys,

First time post - and of course it’s a problem. :slight_smile:

I have a new WDTV Live, have a HDMI linking it to my Samsung TV. Everything was fine, but I’ve noticed a problem after a couple of days.

Normally, I will turn the WDTV on, go to the HDMI channel on the TV, I see the WD loading screen (the big WD logo) and so I know it’s the right channel, it then switches off / does something ‘off screen’ and then load up the main screen with the icons on. Job done.

Recently though it shows the WD screen, then when it ‘switches off’ the next screen doesn’t appear and the TV claims ‘Signal lost’. I turn off, back on, nothing. Usually I have to pull the ppower lead out of the back and put it back in to get this working!

Any ideas on what this could be? I upgraded the firmware to the new beta, so I was wondering if it was a beta issue…?

EDIT: I think this might be a similar issue to the one a couple of threads below from Franny… it sounds the same…

Try:

reseting the unit via the paperclip button on the side.

unplugging the unit from power for some minutes.

Connect to the TV via the AV output composite lead. (disconnect the HDMI lead)

Can you now see the main screen menu. If you can its possibly a problem with the HDMI handshaking.

Tried second HDMI lead, nothing past title screen.

Tried composite, exactly the same.

Reset, powered off, powered on, put HDMI back in, worked perfectly. Turned off, turned back on, worked perfectly again.

Left overnight.

Turned on, loading screen and then nothing. Ppwered off, took out power cord, put back in, turned on, still nothing.

If I have to reset this bloomin’ thing every time I want to watch something, it’s going today.

Might be an HDMI handshaking issue.

After doing the steps to get it working, go to settings and change HDMI from “Auto” to some set quality (like 1080p, 60hz) and see if that helps.

I had that setting anyway - maybe I should reverse it, set it to ‘auto’?

Well, it never hurts to try.

Nope, that didn’t help and a day later? Problem is still there. WD title screen, nothing after unless I pull the power cord out and put it back in.

Seriously getting close to sending this back and asking for a refund.

EDIT: Just seen on the Beta release page that the new .38 beta removes the  ‘HDMI handshake issues introduced in 1.03.35V’. Which sounds like my problem, as I auto upgraded when I got this TO .35V.

So it looks like I’ll have to wait until the .38 update comes out. Any ideas when that would be?

They keep saying Real Soon Now (so your guess is as good as ours :>)

MrTonyLee wrote:

Nope, that didn’t help and a day later? Problem is still there. WD title screen, nothing after unless I pull the power cord out and put it back in.

Seriously getting close to sending this back and asking for a refund.

EDIT: Just seen on the Beta release page that the new .38 beta removes the  ‘HDMI handshake issues introduced in 1.03.35V’. Which sounds like my problem, as I auto upgraded when I got this TO .35V.

So it looks like I’ll have to wait until the .38 update comes out. Any ideas when that would be?

What firmware are you on now? If you are on .35 you could go to 38.

Has .38 come out? My WDTV only shows 35, and the beta has hit it’s limit.

MrTonyLee wrote:

Has .38 come out? My WDTV only shows 35, and the beta has hit it’s limit.

It has not come out as anything other than a beta but somebody must have it available to download.