Wdtv slingplayer problems

Are you guys using WIFI for your WD Live and your Slingboxes? Have you tried using a wired connection to see if that fixes the sling app problems?

I have no issues in accessing my home Slingox 500 from my WD TV Live.  I can put up with the sub-par picture - not that bad, actually, and no freezing as others have described.  HOWEVER,  I cannot access any of the controls that allow me to satisfactorily watch my recorded programs. At home my Slingbox  is connedted to my TIVO Premiere XL.  Nowhere on the WD TV Live remote is there an option to bring up my TIVO menu to see recorded programs, to select one to view, and to skip 30 sec. forward, etc.  All of the DVR controls on the WD remote are greyed out.  If I use my iPad  to access the Slingbox, then I can select a program, pause it, then switch to my WD and resume viewing, BUT, I can’t skip commercials, etc.  Anybody know of a fix for this?  I thought maybe some of the programmable buttons on the “Misc” tab of the blue (D) key might be an answer, but can’t find a way to program them.

Just started using slingplayer with my local slingbox ProHD. Works pretty well. On my remote ProHD which is located in Asia. It streams exceptionally well even at 640x480 or HD quality. I have no major issues other than the fact that the keystroke input is very slow to respond. If I have to punch in two numbers. I see that the second number/key is very quick to be put through, no lag in the second key press. Why is each key press so laggy?

Let me explain further. Say I want to put in 52 to a remote slingbox. I press “5”, the number shows up on the upper right with a clock spinning. If I wait it out, it would put in 5 after about 5-8 seconds. But knowing that my set top box will quickly decide what to do with “5”, it loses track and perform a channel change to 5. Not what I want.
BUT, if I put in “5”, just when the clock starts spinning, I put in “2”. Just like you would on a normal remote sequence. The clock for 5 cancels out, and the clock for 2 starts spinning. As if the wd tv really is just waiting for you to key in whatever else you had in mind after each subsequent key press. Then, after the “2” is done spinning to 12 o’clock, the two key presses gets sent out  together finally and the set top box displays the input in the same fashion you’ve just pressed “5” “2”. This happens in a rather quick response time, of say, 1 to 2 seconds end to end(around the world and back, like what my end-to-end connection ping time suggests).  It looks like slingplayer is just waiting for all commands to be put in before actually doing a command send. It looks like this “wait” parameter can be customized for a longer or shorter “wait for additional” keystroke. I don’t really need 8 seconds to find the second key.

If I’m browsing a guide remotely, I can have multiple key presses of up, OK, down, down, down, and OK to select all pressed in a continuous sequence. The command set of up, OK, down, down, down, and OK will be sent after the last key stroke. But you really have to count how many clicks down to get to what you want if you want a to quickly browse the guide and select something.

I do NOT have this issue with my slingcatcher hardware that’s years old. The keystrokes are sent right away, although the stream stutters when keystrokes are sent, its response is quicker. No waiting for 5-8 seconds at the end to send it out. It would be nice if there’s an advanced setting to customize the wait period.

Update, both wdtv at home is now refusing to connect to my sling account. YouTube is also stuck at loading. I managed to reset the network settings and at least got tunein radio to work. Any ideas?

Ok,  for anyone that has an ipad 2nd gen or ipad mini

You can buy the ipad slingplayer app to circumvent the WD Live box remote cursor lag issues

Here is my setup: WD Tv Live box in bedroom.

Slingbox in LR.

1. Start WD Live box and access Slingplayer app. After up and running

2. Setup Slingplayer App on ipad with local service info
e.i.- cable service or satelite info for Channel Guide info.

3. On ipad (mini in my case)
 start Slingplayer App.

4. In Slingplayer App–>Settings–>Launch Preference=Don’t Automatically connect. You will only have to set this         once.Exit.

5. Restart Slingplayer app on ipad.

6. Choose Guide icon.

7. Use the guide feature to instantaneaously search your cable or satelite channel guide.  Then if you select what channel you want to view by double tapping on the ipad
 a box will pop-up to say: Another authorized user is logged on do you want to disconnect them - Choose “NO”.

8. The app will send the channel info to the Slingplayer and change the channel to the your selection. Voila’.

This way you dont have to bother with the ridiculous cursor Up and cursor Down BS

Hope this helps someone

P.S.  - This wouldn’t be neccesary at all if Slingplayer hadn’t changed there ipad app.  In version 2.0 - you could use Apple Tv & the Slingplayer App and just use the Airplay feature to stream your channels!  You could run the app on ipad in the backround and even sleep with your smartcover and the app would continue to stream like other AirVideo apps do with minimal battery drain
 then they changed it all in version 2.2 and tech support told me the app was only designed to work on the ipad not to “Airplay” onto larger HDTV’s
so FYI
  There was also a glitch with the ipad  v.2.0 app where when wanting to change channels to avoid the app freezing you would have to revert Airplay back to the ipad prior to switching channels. Then after channel change you could restream through Airplay

Update:  I have now found out that if using Apple Tv and ipad app you need to use the Mirroring function(start before starting the app) for Airplay to work correctly. It will stream to your TV at the native aspect ratio of your TV and you can use the ipad as channel guide and remote simultaneously. Works well that way
but cannot sleep or turn off ipad display so I prefer the WDLive TV box (wired), and the previously mentioned work around for remote control and channel selection
so I can muti-task on Ipad