WDTV Random Display Problems

I’ve been using a WDTV to display several thousand jpg pics on a usb stick in random order.  The most obvious problem is that the entire directory isn’t randomized before the software starts the random list over. Thus, many repeats will occur with some pics seemingly never displaying at all. (The correct way is to display ALL the pics before any repeats occur.) I know I don’t have file errors because I can switch to sequential display and everything displays. If this problem is fixed in the more expensive WDTV Media Player, I am willing to buy it.

The second problem is one of random lock-ups. To solve this, I have to remove  power from the WD TV and start over.

My wish and what I would like to do is have a mix of jpg and video clips in the same folder of the usb stick and have the WDTV randomly display them, choosing the display logic based on the filename extension. In other words, dsplay #1 might be jpg and display #2 might be mov. I don’t want to have to manually choose either pics or video.

TomStover wrote: My wish and what I would like to do is have a mix of jpg and video clips in the same folder of the usb stick and have the WDTV randomly display them

not possible on WDTV devices …

but is possible and works fine on any Kodi (XBMC) device :smiley:

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for the advice. Exactly what I was hoping for in joining this “community!” I wonder if I can get Kodi S/W to run on a Chrome Box? I’m going to share your advice with my son who will find it interesting as well, I am sure.

The Chromebox is an inexpensive small form-factor PC which runs Google’s ChromeOS; it is the desktop variant of a Chromebook laptop. Although Kodi does not run natively under ChromeOS, the Chromebox can easily be made to run Linux (or Windows) and Kodi

http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox

oh, and i should mention … you need the below Kodi setting checked to include videos in picture listings and slideshows

1 Like