Wdtv ps3 xbox pc

Hi all,

I have this in my house.

First room: Router and PC wired connected.

Second Room: Xbox wired connected.

Third Room: Ps3 connected wired connected.

Four room: WDTV Live  wired connected. It has attached an usb HD where are all my media files I want to play.

Can WDTV stream files(mkv) to the others rooms where I have  (xbox) (ps3) ?

If no, What would be the best method to do it, to have all media in the four room and that it could be watched (MKV) from others rooms being the transcode done in the source sender because the destination player doesn’t support mkv type without use a PC.

Thank you.

The WDTVs don’t transcode.    Only DLNA servers transcode, and the WDTV Live is not a DLNA server.

DizySP wrote:

Hi all,

I have this in my house.

First room: Router and PC wired connected.

Second Room: Xbox wired connected.

Third Room: Ps3 connected wired connected.

Four room: WDTV Live  wired connected. It has attached an usb HD where are all my media files I want to play.

Can WDTV stream files(mkv) to the others rooms where I have  (xbox) (ps3) ?

If no, What would be the best method to do it, to have all media in the four room and that it could be watched (MKV) from others rooms being the transcode done in the source sender because the destination player doesn’t support mkv type without use a PC.

Thank you.

hello dizysp,

First, I would recommend that you get a NAS and plug that into your wired network (hopefully GbE).  There are excellent ones on the market that are quite inexpensive for all that they do; and their power consumption is quite low so you can keep it on all the time and not worry about your electric bill.   I have been using a Synology product (they have many products and sizes) and am quite happy with it.

Socond, your PS3.  I have two of them (separate rooms) have been using them as both a BR player and a media player.  Earlier on I was hopeful that Sony would have upgraded the FW to allow MKV play; but it is clear that they have consciously decided not to improve the media play functionality of the PS3 by not improving it’s capabilities for over 2 years now despite numerous FW upgrades.  So, you have few choices.  1. Buy another WDTV Live (plus) and use it  (in the same setup as your PS3) to play all of your media.  Note: this is the route I’m taking).  2. Use a program called PS3muxer to change the mkv’s to a format  (m2ts) that the PS3 can play.

I’m sure you might have some other options that you can take, but the above is what comes to mind.

good luck

As the previous respondent noted about the PS3, the XBox will not handle MKVs either.

Chuckster679 wrote:

As the previous respondent noted about the PS3, the XBox will not handle MKVs either.

Good point.  Forget about ps3 and xbox as media players unless you can live with their limitations.  Based on the OP, sounds like he cannot.

Another option is to just build a HTPC and load a transcoder SW of your choice in lieu of the NAS.  However, one would need to do a cost/benefit trade to see if that’s the way to go or not.