WDTV Live + Windows 7 "Invalid Username and Password. Please Try Again Later"

anjenaire wrote:

Windows Live Essentials 2011

The Sign-In Assistant isn’t necessarily “hiding” in Essentials (although it very well may be), but Essentials 2011 does apparently make the same security changes to the system as Sign-In Assistant, causing the same problem.

RoofingGuy wrote:

anjenaire wrote:

Windows Live Essentials 2011

The Sign-In Assistant isn’t necessarily “hiding” in Essentials (although it very well may be), but Essentials 2011 does apparently make the same security changes to the system as Sign-In Assistant, causing the same problem.

I removed the Windows Live Essentials and my WD Live is working like a charm now.

It is Windows Live Essentials 2011 that is causing the problem for sure.

I ran into the same problem, WD TV Live asked for login name and password when I never ever set one up.

I noticed the only thing I changed was agreeing to update Windows 7 with Windows Live Essentials 2011.

I then uninstalled Windows Live Essentials 2011.

Now my WD TV Live does not ask for login information.

Everything is back to normal.

If you must keep Windows Live Essentials 2011…then good luck! :slight_smile:

Yes, that seems to be the consensus.  

Now that Life Essentials seems to be out of beta and the changes Microsoft made to samba / cifs are finalized, I hope that WD can address this issue with a patch (it’s been a while since WD released a patch anyway).  It’s certainly not going away on Microsoft’s end.  Live Mesh is actually a very useful tool and I’d like to be able to take advantage of it without fear of breaking my WDTV.

Thank you so much for sharing this information.

I was tearing my hair about this issue. I could not understand why WDTV Live could not connect when a laptop in the same network could access the network share fine.

I haven’t tested this yet (because I’m watching something on my WD at the moment but, there is a service called Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant.

What I’ve just done (as I mention haven’t tested yet it):

• Goto the start menu

• Type “services.msc” into the “Search programs and files” field down the bottom and press enter

• Find “Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant” in the list and double click on it

• Click “Stop”  and set “Startup type” to “Disabled”

This should disable Windows LiveID Sign-in Assistant which caused the problem previously and I hope its the fix for this version too.

Disabling the sign-in assistant doesn’t work (as stated previously on this thread).  It must be uninstalled.  And uninstalling just the Live Essentials components that use the sign-in assistant does not work either.  The whole package must be removed.

For example, you can install Movie Maker, but if you install Live Mesh, you have to remove the whole Live Essentials package to get the WDTV to work again.  Just removing Live Mesh and leaving Movie Maker does not cut it.

Every WIN 7 PC assembled  in the US as of November 1 will have Live Essentials 2011 installed on the machine.

None of this machines will permit  ANY WDTV media device access to network shares. 

Including the new HUB?  I know the wheels are turning in the WD  lab. 

I’ll bet the Xbox works.

The Hub OUT OF THE BOX (Version 2.01.05) DOES work with the enhanced MS security.

However, the firmware upgrade breaks it.

I can tell that was an accidental break because the GPL code that’s published DOES include the SAMBA patches published by Samba.org to fix that bug.

The HUB uses Samba 3.5.1 + patches for the Samba bug.

The Live/Live+ use samba 3.0.28a which HAS no patch.

So, if you DO NOT upgrade your hub out of the box then it’ll work fine.    If you DO, you’re toast until they fix it (again.)

1 Like

new buyers have one shot

1)Do not to use the automatic firmware update feature for the HUB

1. Read WDC Community Posts Before you buy the HUB so you can know about item 1.

Come on WD publish a new firmware with  updated Samba for WD-TV-LIve/ Live+

I have uninstalled MS Essentials of every kind.  Still no worky.  Any other suggestions??

Roll the system back to before Live Essentials 2011 was installed.  Simply uninstalling it doesn’t revert the security changes it makes.

Hey guys… I was having the same problem with the new Hub (yes I did update the firmware). Uninstalling windows live assistant and live essentials seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

If after uninstalling windows live assistant and live essentials it’s still not working, there is another solution :

• Create a new user : “WDTVLIVE”

• Give a password for this user : a (or zbfikkendisopz if you prefer)

• Share your folders with this new user WDTVLIVE

On THE WDTV :

• Select NO In the autologin

You can now enter the username and the password (WDTVLIVE / a) to access your files

• Go home and select YES to the autologin.

You can now access your files without username and password.

I hope it will help.

1 Like

Windows Live Essentials 2011 is not in the list of installed programs or Windows features in the Control Panel.

I’ve tried disabling the service (using services.msc menu) - no joy…

What’s the next best way to remove this from the system??

i also had to remove LIVEessentials from my W7 OS.

i tried just installing the photo app, so i could remove redeye from my pics, but it blocked the HUB and LIVE+.  after i removed it, rebooted both unit, they could both connect.

hopefully it gets fixed at someones end, becuase i do like the photo program to remove redeye.  

if i had know, i would NOT have updated it from the last windows update, oh well.

** update ** for those of you who still want the photo editing of the previous version of the Live Picture VIewer in windows, that allowed you to Crop and Fix Redeye etc, it can be found here: Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009 14.0.8081.709  Free Download (download at own risk, i have no affilication with the site, just found it and it seems to work on my W7 machine) and the WD units can still connect to your PC thru netowork shares, or at least on mine it could.  much better then the current Windows picture viewer and all the LIVE ■■■■ that gets installed.  

I had the same issue as everyone above. However, I didn’t see MS Live Sign-in ID as an uninstall option. I went ahead and uninstalled Live Essentials 2011 and voila everything worked. I only installed 2011 for the update to Live Mesh Beta.

And the Live Mesh 2011 is terrible! I wish I had never upgraded it.

I recently had this issue after an update made its may onto my Windows 7 machine!

It was very annoying, however, i did not have a restore point before the install of Live ID, nor did i have any option to uninstall it, fortunately i did have Comodo Time Machine installed, a quick roll back to last week and its working a treat again…hopefully WD release a firmware update to make our beloved little streamer compatible with this type of security change.

It might be a good idea to set updates to only download but not install to prevent a repeat  occourance :wink:

best of luck people :slight_smile:

wow, always a good thing to consult google before trying out alone. Lost only about 10 min. Lucky, would have never found out myself. Thanks!

Annoying thing is that I think I got that sign-in assistant with windows update because I know I did not install it myself. Installation date was yesterday and my memory is good enough to remeber that far back. :wink:

Anyway solved. BTW problem is also there with the new firmware, which makes the whole UI feel very slow.

You know I just started getting the whole “invalid username” error all over again starting yesterday.  I didn’t install Live Essentials either.  Did microsoft force it out through windows update?  If that’s true, that upsets me greatly.  I set updates to auto-install, so maybe it’s my own fault.  But still…  I’ll check and get back.

UPDATE:  Yeah, so it turns out the “Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant” service is installed and running.  It has an entry in “Programs and Features” installed on 11/16 (yesterday).  It had to be pushed out through windows update.  That’s infuriating.

UPDATE 2:  Seems to be part of the GFWL update:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/445541-aware-games-windows-live-getting-major-update-nov-15-tomorrow.html