WDTV Live + Synology DS1511 Disk Station

Hi all,

I am investigating purchasing the Synology DS1511+ Disk Station for Media Storage.

The question I am having trouble answering is whether I can stream video from the DS1511 directly to the WDTV Live via the network, or if I need to have a media server sitting between the two, such as a PC using Windows Home Server.

If anyone can confirm either way I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks

hen2204 wrote:

The question I am having trouble answering is whether I can stream video from the DS1511 directly to the WDTV Live via the network, or if I need to have a media server sitting between the two, such as a PC using Windows Home Server.

No, that’s the point of the WDTV Live (plus).  It will read the files on your NAS and play them directly.  I’m currently using the Live Plus with a Synology 211j and the Live has been playing my uncompressed BR, high bit rate files just fine.For videos, recommend you use .mkv container.

Thanks for that.  That’s what I was hoping.  I generally do try to stick to MKV.

The only thing is I’m guessing is that I will need to access the files from the DS1511 via the Network Shares as opposed to via Media Servers.

you could use Network Shares or make use of the DLNA/UPnP Media Server and ITunes Server it will have.