WDTV LIVe streaming slowly from mac

Hi all. I just plugged in a Buffalo dongle and was delighted to see a network connection on my wdtv live. sadly when i tried to stream a video from my mac it was excruciatingly slow. Mkv files hardly even opened. They are all jerky and there is no audio. I did all the adjustments to the Sharing folder as recommended on the site. But I can’t figure out why I can’t watch movies directly from my Macbook pro :frowning: Please advise 

What version of Firmware are you on, and what speed is your wireless actually working at?

Roll back to firmware 1.2.21. This will solve all your problems with the bugs introduced in later firmwares.

I just updated to the latest firmware with the wifi dongle. How exactly do you roll back?

ferzad wrote:

I just updated to the latest firmware with the wifi dongle. How exactly do you roll back?

Its all here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

thank you so much. will give it  a shot.

now it says There is no media in the current folder!  :((

Try resetting via the side paperclip button with the unit on. (1 second press)

i updated to 1.03. something V (sorry i’m not very sure but it’s just one less than the latest version) via the dongle again (which is a high speed N version of Buffalo - Buffalo WLI -UC-GN) . the folders showed up fine now and i was able to play avis. earlier even they were jerky. but mkv files just don’t stream. they jerk and eventually go frame by frame. is it possible to stream them at all? My net connection is 2mbps though i doubt that’s what it uses. the airport express is 802.11n.

Ah well, at 2mbps you are unlikely to get even SD video to play well unless they are very low definition.

i thought this would use the airport express network rather than the internet. :frowning:

ferzad wrote:

i thought this would use the airport express network rather than the internet. :frowning:

Well that wasn’t clear from your post that you were talking about your Internet connection. It is your local connection speed that is relevant.

What wireless base station/router are you using? What throughput are you getting on the wireless link?

But honestly just don’t expect very good performance with a wireless connection under most urban environments.

I use an airport express wifi router. I don’t know what the throughput is to be honest. I believe the speed of the aiport express is pretty much the fastest available since it is an 'N" series as is the Buffalo dongle. If this is what is meant by local speed it’s fast to my knowledge.