WDTV Live streaming Gen3 Crashing

Hi Guys, 

I have a WDTV live streaming Gen3 which randomly crashes.  Im yet to find any common characteristics between the files it crashes on and also the same file will not always crash the system… 

If I hard reset the box, it will work fine until the next crash.  It typically happens 2-3hrs into playing video’s… 

The video’s I have are all MP4 (MPEG4 codec) and MP3 Audio

Any help would be appreciated.

+1, mine also crashed after an hour or so of watching a movie streamed from huluplus, it did kind of a restart.

And also on similar issues: I tried to power it up with the remote after a day or so of being off and it was unresponsive, a hard reset (disconnect/connect power cord) fixed it

I am experiencing the same problem. I have my media player running a loop - two mpegs, for a studio reception area - and eventually it just dies. Hardware reset (power off/on) fixes it until the next time.

My guess is a memory leak or resource leak of some sort.

I have had the same issue. I stream from a server in my house via wireless connection. It doesn’t happen all the time, and I haven’t found a show or movie that it happens on all the time, but it just stops in the middle of a show and reverts back to either the main screen or the folder where the show I was playing is located. After I restart the show it’s fine until it crashes again. I just upgraded the firmware to the 1.06 version yesterday, thinking that would’ve helped, but no luck. Did it about an hour after the upgrade.

This is a great product, please help with a solution.

Thank you

At the moment it crashes, see how warm the box is.  If it’s really warm to the touch, try directing a small fan onto it.  If it doesn’t crash with the fan on it, see about getting it exchanged under warranty.

Is it by any chance sitting on top of another electronic device that’s turned on?  LIke a tuner or amp?  Move it off.

It has felt a bit warmer then my other WD HD TV box. It is sitting inside on a shelf in my entertainment center. I will move it to the top so there are no walls restricting the airflow and see what happens. If that works, I will update this post tomorrow.

Thank you

Did exactly what was suggested and moved the unit from inside the entertainment center to the top where there is plenty of airflow. Worked great for about 2.5hrs, then crashed. The box wasn’t as hot as when it was inside the cabinet, but it was a little warm. Is this a hardware problem, and is WD working on a solution? I would hate to go thru all the hoops to get it replaced via the warranty only to have the same problem with the replacement unit.

Please let me know.

Thank you